Crafty no improvement in strength?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rdan1987

Re: Crafty no improvement in strength?

Post by rdan1987 »

I also received similar comments when i started to criticise the avalaible rating lists , about 2 months ago...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

rdan1987 wrote:I also received similar comments when i started to criticise the avalaible rating lists , about 2 months ago...
You mean this thread?
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

rdan1987 wrote:I also received similar comments when i started to criticise the avalaible rating lists , about 2 months ago...
With all my respect to Crafty and it's author,it's not the holy Bilble and everyone has the right to express his opinion and share his thoughts regarding the engine's performance.....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
With all my respect to Crafty and it's author,it's not the holy Bilble and everyone has the right to express his opinion and share his thoughts regarding the engine's performance.....
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and most aren't worth shit.

But.. everyone is aloud to express them.. especially after a good course of beans.. BRRRRAAAAAPPPP!!!

:)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
nuff

Post by nuff »

Loosen up dude this is not the Computer Dictators Club. How is asking "How come crafty does not enjoy the same improvement in strength as the commercial versions?" criticism?

Humans reach a plateau in strength and this could be the case with crafty. Considering that the source is open "should" mean that thousands of developers are eyeing the code and giving feedback to Dr Hyatt. Perhaps this is not the case.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Code: Select all

CCRL 40/40 Rating List - Custom engine selection
53742 games played by 276 programs, run by 13 testers
Ponder off, General books (up to 12 moves), 3-4-5 piece EGTB
Time control: Equivalent to 40 moves in 40 minutes on Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4 GHz)
Computed on April 7, 2007 with Bayeselo based on 53'742 games
Tested by CCRL team, 2005-2007, http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/

Rank                Engine                 ELO   +    -   Score  AvOp  Games
      Crafty 21.5 32-bit                   2697  +78  -76  55.4%  -39.2    56
    1 Crafty 20.14 32-bit                  2629  +37  -37  38.7%  +78.8   247
      Crafty 20.13 32-bit                  2615  +41  -42  45.2%  +34.0   187
      Crafty 20.11 32-bit                  2596  +54  -55  42.5%  +60.4   114
Although many more games are required, the signs are promising that progressive improvement is being shown in recent times.

Regards, Graham.
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

MikeB wrote: If interesed, I can you send a version that i better than any previous version of crafty and you can run your own tests. Email me mfbyrne_pa@msn.com

Michael
Hello Michael,

I sent you an email yesteday. Did you not receive it? I would be interested in testing a newer Crafty version.

Best Regards,
Martin