Windows Vista: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Windows Vista: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Post by hgm »

I want to buy a new computer with Core 2 Duo CPU.

But they seem to be sold with a 32-bit version of Vista in standard configuration.

What does this mean? Will I not be able too run 64-bit applications on this machine under this OS? Or is it just that the kernel of the OS itself is running in 32-bit mode (and thus might be a little slower)?
Alainza

Re: Windows Vista: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Post by Alainza »

Hi,

yes, a 32 bit OS cannot run 64 bits programs.

I don't think that there is a big performance difference between Vista 32 and Vista 64 for 32 bits programs.

On the other hand, I am running Vista 64 on my laptop and I have no compatibility problem, 32 bits programs run fine on Vista 64.
There are two drawbacks with Vista 64 : 1) I think it uses more memory, 2) Some drivers may be hard to find for Vista 64.

Best regards,
Alain
hgm

Post by hgm »

OK, thanks. I was afraid of this. Strange that they sell computers standard with an OS that is not suitable for it, and even advertize that they might not be able to deliver the 64-bit version...
Alainza

Post by Alainza »

Hi,
hgm wrote:Strange that they sell computers standard with an OS that is not suitable for it
well, Vista 32 bits is perfectly "suitable" for x64 processors : these processors run perfectly in 32 bits mode (I think it was not the case with IA64 processors from Intel).

And as of today, except for a few chess programs, I don't know many "user" programs which exist in 64 bits versions (this is different on the "server" side where more 64 bits programs exist).

Best regards,

Alain
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I really think that you should keep the 32 bit Vista since a lot of stuff still doesn't have drivers for 64 bit. You can easily have a dual boot of Vista 32 and Win XP Pro 64bit. That is what I am running now. If you do decide to go to a dual boot system ... I highly highly recommend the nifty little free program Vista Boot Pro

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, this computer will basically only serve one purpose: run Chess programs (run test games for my engines, act as a server to play remote at OTB tournaments, build 7-men EGTBs). As such I am unlikely to ever buy any hardware extensions to it. So as long as the Windows Vista has drivers for the harddisk(s) and network card with which the computer comes it really has all I ever need.

I am not going to pay uSoft to buy their crap products; it is bad enough that I am forced to buy this one together with the computer (for which the price as a package deal is still lower than when I would buy it as individual components without the Windows), and I consider it too much of a hassle to try getting a refund for the software...
Spock

Post by Spock »

Alainza wrote:
And as of today, except for a few chess programs, I don't know many "user" programs which exist in 64 bits versions (this is different on the "server" side where more 64 bits programs exist).

Best regards,

Alain

There are 64-bit versions of many programs - e.g. 7-zip, Smart FTP, Active Perl etc. Whether they offer any benefit over their 32-bit versions, I don't know
hgm

Post by hgm »

Hmm, it seems they don't want to sell me this computer with a 64-bit system, as they are not sure that 64-bit drivers exist for the video card it comes with. Buying an 'a la carte' PC from them with a simpler video card but otherwise the same hardware specs, and 64-bit Vista Basic in stead of 32-bit Vista Premium ups the price from €749 to €1.016... They can forget about that!

I guess the world is not ready yet for 64 bit...
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

M ANSARI wrote:I really think that you should keep the 32 bit Vista since a lot of stuff still doesn't have drivers for 64 bit. You can easily have a dual boot of Vista 32 and Win XP Pro 64bit. That is what I am running now. If you do decide to go to a dual boot system ... I highly highly recommend the nifty little free program Vista Boot Pro

http://www.vistabootpro.org/
Alternatively, you might want to consider Virtual PC 2007

Windows XP32 booting in x64 under VPC 2007
MikeB

Re: Windows Vista: 32-bit or 64-bit? TEST

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote:Alternatively, you might want to consider Virtual PC 2007

Windows XP32 booting in x64 under VPC 2007
trying to show a photo