Rybka vs top human match

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nuff

Rybka vs top human match

Post by nuff »

I don't know whether its been posted here but the rybka team are trying to get a top human to play in a match without the handicaps. Someone in the know could help them get sponsorship/get in touch with top players ready to take on rybka.
Mike S.

Re: Rybka vs top human match

Post by Mike S. »

Appearantly it would have to be a player who isn't too far away, and the prize fund is smaller compared to similar events.

To be honest, I wouldn't expect even a top GM to win such a 6 games match, even with a 3 moves book only and half of the time for Rybka. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if a GM can win one or two white games if he can play the opening much better, and/or make use of "suboptimal" Rybka opening moves.

As Larry Kaufman explaines, he made the match offer "Because some people here feel that grandmasters still might have a chance against Rybka without an explicit handicap if only Rybka is denied various advantages."

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pl?tid=794

There will always be a chance, but the question is how big (or small) that chance is by now. But a single match can only provide fairly good information for the particular opponent, and less reliable information for his strength category (~2500, ~2600 etc.).

Anyway, whatever the outcome may be, I doubt that odds matches should be considered as something "normal" from now on if GMs fail. I think odds matches are interesting and useful as experiments, but will remain something unusual. I still doubt that a "super" GM 2700+ would want to receive odds. It's like branding him to be weaker than the comp. Even if he most probably is weaker, it will be preferable for him to lose normal games in normal matches, not involving odds.
Regards, Mike
nuff

Re: Rybka vs top human match

Post by nuff »

Although FIDE have got the ball rolling with Junior-vs-Fritz, the public would still like to see a rybka vs human match. The human could even be one of the Polgar sisters not necessarily a top 10 GM. Susan Polgar attracts a lot of interest and she could help in staging such a match.
ArmyBridge

Re: Rybka vs top human match?? Hydra vs Rybka would be bette

Post by ArmyBridge »

Hi
For me, is most interesting a match between Rybka and Hydra
Time ago I read , I don’t remember exactly which forum, about the hypothetical match between Rybka and Hydra, many people thing that Rybka can beat Hydra, but I don’t think so. For me is clear that the winner of the match would be Hydra. Why? Well one of the Rybka weakness is tactics, in special the King’s safe, Rybka is vulnerable to King side attacks , but is possible that has better chess knowledge than Hydra, although the Hydra hardware is faster and massive and surely Hydra is the most danger attack entity in the world. I guess a 20 games match, Hydra would smash Rybka +9-4=7
NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

ArmyBridge wrote:Hi
For me, is most interesting a match between Rybka and Hydra
Time ago I read , I don’t remember exactly which forum, about the hypothetical match between Rybka and Hydra, many people thing that Rybka can beat Hydra, but I don’t think so. For me is clear that the winner of the match would be Hydra. Why? Well one of the Rybka weakness is tactics, in special the King’s safe, Rybka is vulnerable to King side attacks , but is possible that has better chess knowledge than Hydra, although the Hydra hardware is faster and massive and surely Hydra is the most danger attack entity in the world. I guess a 20 games match, Hydra would smash Rybka +9-4=7
I use to talk about player weaknesses who were rated 1400! Now an enigine is rated over 3000 and one of their weaknesses are....... :roll:
I feel at 3000 plus level 'weaknesses' are who has the better book, time management, and other non-tactical areas.
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

The Rybka vs hydra conversation won't really be able to reach a conclusion. Anyone can express a view obviously, but no views will be based on any hard data since none exists.
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

Hi Tom :D , I think that be a GM is not neccesary to see engine weaknes's just play trough some game between Rybka and Deep Fritz o Deep Junior to see that in certain positions Rybka is overplayed, so is not to dificult guess what would hapend if Rybka (with optimal book) face Hydra (wuit optimal book, just like the Adam`s match, 2 years ago)... :) don`t you think so?
Leto

Post by Leto »

I'm more interested in a Rybka vs Hydra match, I already know that the best human chess players are inferior to chess engines.
nuff

Post by nuff »

Larry stated that a strong human GM has expressed interest so it would be interesting if the match takes off. Isn't a 3 move opening book too much of a concession? If Rybka suffers a reverse you can bet that will be one of the sticking points.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Leto wrote:I'm more interested in a Rybka vs Hydra match, I already know that the best human chess players are inferior to chess engines.
I am not interested in rybka vs hydra match.

I see no reason to care about playing strength of hydra that is something that nobody can get.

It is more interesting to know the
playing strength of commercial engines or free engines

Uri