Using "Performance bin" in Fritz9 GUI for Toga II

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry Giles

Using "Performance bin" in Fritz9 GUI for Toga II

Post by Terry Giles »

Hi CCC friends,

Can anyone here tell me how I can get Toga II to use it's own opening book "Performance bin" within the Fritz9 GUI?
Of course assuming that it's possible.

Many thanks,

Terry :wink:
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Using "Performance bin" in Fritz9 GUI for Toga

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello Terry, I am no Chessbase user so probably my idea does not work.

No Chessbase users response so far, so maybe it's impossible to use Performance.bin for Toga under Chessbase but that would seem strange?

I know that for Pro Deo it would be enough to try to load an empty.ctg when running Pro Deo as UCI under Chessbase. Pro Deo would then use its own opening book when the GUI finds the empty .ctg. Of course in the UCI options of Toga you have to fill in Performance.bin as the opening book -There should be an UCI-option 'BookFile' somewhere in ChessBase GUI- and the book has to be loaded in the same folder as the Toga.exe.

(For Pro Deo the own opening book is automatically set and not an UCI option in the GUI, it can be disabled by editing the WB2UCI.ENG file that comes with Pro Deo, by removing the ";" character from the parameter: ; InitString = BookOff/n)

By the way: Pave Hase has also made an alternative book that could be used for Toga if you want to experiment a little.

Maybe the empty.ctg method does not work or there is another simpler way of doing this?

Regards, Eelco
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

What's the problem? Simply disable chessbase book xxx.ctg (close book file) and now Toga's own book is used.

Jouni
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

Or create empty *.ctg book and use for Toga (and other UCI engines with own book).

performance.bin standart option for Toga. If other binary book, then edit parameter engine, or edit *.uci file ->
+
[options]
BookFile=name.bin

(C:\"Documents .."\"profile"\Application Data\ChessBase\UCI.engines for Fritz 10 or C:\Program Files\ChessBase\Engines for Fritz 7-9)
Terry Giles

Post by Terry Giles »

Thanks for your help guys, actually what I'm trying to do is to set up the Fritz9 GUI to play an engine match between Toga II with its own performance book and Fritz9 with its own book.
I will give your suggestions a try.

Terry :wink:
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Hi,

I have run that type of matches many times in Fritz. Simply don't select
any book in match parameters for Toga (or un-check "use book"). I
assume, that you have Toga book in Toga directory, of course.

Jouni
Terry Giles

Post by Terry Giles »

Hi Jouni,

I don't have the Toga engine in a directory at all, it's in Fritz9's "active" and "inactive engines" folders. Also Fritz9 can't see Toga's "performance" bin file as it's not in the standard chessbase format.

Call me "Mr Thicky", but I just can't get Toga to use its own book.

Terry :cry:
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

Terry Giles wrote: ... Toga's "performance" bin file as it's not in the standard chessbase format. ...
:D Select engine - engine parameter - x own book, performance.bin.
Hi Pavel
Terry Giles

Post by Terry Giles »

Hi Jouni,

I must have something setup wrong somewhere - Toga II simply refuses to use its own book. I can only get it to use Fritz's book or no book at all.
Thanks anyway for your help.