movei progress 10 10 10 personality

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

movei progress 10 10 10 personality

Post by Uri Blass »

This personality performed better than the default personality in my testing.

I tested it at the following conditions:
1)5 minutes/40 moves against fruit2.0
128 mbytes hash for every engine.

Result after 62 games was 33-29 for movei pr10 but fruit2.0 is known to be relatively better at the last games of the noomen match and no movei version so far could beat fruit2.0 in a 100 game match.

The best result that I got in 100 games match against fruit2.0 was loss 47.5-52.5 at 1+1 time control when movei was leading 47-43 after 90 games.

2)20,000,000 nodes per move against the default personality
32 mbytes hash for every version(this is slower time control than the default).

progress 10 10 10 personality is leading 4-1 with 6 draws and has almost 0.5 pawn advantage in game number 12 based on evaluation of both programs.

Uri
Alessandro Scotti

Re: movei progress 10 10 10 personality

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

Uri Blass wrote:The best result that I got in 100 games match against fruit2.0 was loss 47.5-52.5 at 1+1 time control when movei was leading 47-43 after 90 games.
...hate when that happens! :x Well at least your goal is Fruit, I'm already having trouble beating Kiwi with Hamsters! :P

P.S. But every now and then, even that is OK. Last Hamsters was ahead of Kiwi with just a few games to go, which is when I realized I lost the sources for that version. Fortunately (!) Kiwi made a come back and scored 51% in the end... made the loss of best Hamsters ever so much sweeter... :shock:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Alessandro Scotti wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:The best result that I got in 100 games match against fruit2.0 was loss 47.5-52.5 at 1+1 time control when movei was leading 47-43 after 90 games.
...hate when that happens! :x Well at least your goal is Fruit, I'm already having trouble beating Kiwi with Hamsters! :P

P.S. But every now and then, even that is OK. Last Hamsters was ahead of Kiwi with just a few games to go, which is when I realized I lost the sources for that version. Fortunately (!) Kiwi made a come back and scored 51% in the end... made the loss of best Hamsters ever so much sweeter... :shock:
Yes

Fruit2.0 is the target to beat.

more than 50% in a 100 game match of course proves nothing even if I get it and I need to reproduce it in more matches in order to say that
I achieved the goal and look for a different goal.

403 is not the latest version and 418 default is probably slightly better
based on the ccrl blitz list but in order to encourage people to test 403 progress 10 10 10 I hope to prove that 10 10 10 is really better.

intuition tell me that progress 10 10 10 should be better at longer time control and it should help movei to be better positional player.

progress simply encourage progress in the evaluation inside the path
and 10 means 10 centi-pawn bonus so for this personality there may be a bonus of 0.1 pawns or 0.2 pawns or 0.3 pawns relative to the static evaluation based on the path.

Uri
pichy

Post by pichy »

Uri Blass wrote:
Alessandro Scotti wrote:

Yes

Fruit2.0 is the target to beat.

more than 50% in a 100 game match of course proves nothing even if I get it and I need to reproduce it in more matches in order to say that
I achieved the goal and look for a different goal.

403 is not the latest version and 418 default is probably slightly better
based on the ccrl blitz list but in order to encourage people to test 403 progress 10 10 10 I hope to prove that 10 10 10 is really better.

intuition tell me that progress 10 10 10 should be better at longer time control and it should help movei to be better positional player.

progress simply encourage progress in the evaluation inside the path
and 10 means 10 centi-pawn bonus so for this personality there may be a bonus of 0.1 pawns or 0.2 pawns or 0.3 pawns relative to the static evaluation based on the path.

Uri
I would like to test your version 418 and compare the result versus version 403 progress 10 10 10 using the same opponents against these two versions.

PS: Uri can you send me your latest version 418?
Spock

Post by Spock »

When the time is right, I'll re-test movei on our FRC list. Current version there is 383 default.

I'll leave it to you Uri to let me know when you feel that you've reached a milestone in your development.