Collector's corner: Looking for advice on which model to get

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nczempin

Collector's corner: Looking for advice on which model to get

Post by nczempin »

Hi,

I'm planning to build my own little chess computer, and I'd like to salvage an existing model for the board:

I'd need a board with 8x8 LEDs and 8x8 squares that you press (rather than the advanced models where you just move the piece), but not a mini model.

Do you have any suggestions as to which model I should be looking for on Ebay?
Steve B

Re: Collector's corner: Looking for advice on which model to

Post by Steve B »

nczempin wrote:Hi,

I'm planning to build my own little chess computer, and I'd like to salvage an existing model for the board:

I'd need a board with 8x8 LEDs and 8x8 squares that you press (rather than the advanced models where you just move the piece), but not a mini model.

hi Nicolai
i assume you want to "gut " the insides of the board and replace it with your own components/program??

there are many Pressure sensitive boards that have been released so it is hard to name only one for your project

perhaps if you do an Ebay search with the words"Sensory Chess " this can help you..make sure to highlight the "search title and description box"

many computers using the pressure method will appear for you to choose from
and if you can narrow down what you like and ask about them here i and others will be more then happy to discuss your choices with you

Innovative Regards
Steve
klute

Post by klute »

I'd replace a CM Diamond's brain with a 20Mhz Zilog Z84C0020PEC to create a 1600 ELO monster.

On a dark and stormy night in the Blue Mountains, I would raise the lightning rod to breathe life into my creation.

Excalibur Igor would be my assistant.

Nothing could stop me! Nothing!

HolzFrankenSchach Regards

Cameron
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:I'd replace a CM Diamond's brain with a 20Mhz Zilog Z84C0020PEC to create a 1600 ELO monster.

On a dark and stormy night in the Blue Mountains, I would raise the lightning rod to breathe life into my creation.

Excalibur Igor would be my assistant.

Nothing could stop me! Nothing!

HolzFrankenSchach Regards

Cameron
well how about gutting a Fidelity Elite A/S and replacing its innards with the brains of the CXG Advanced Star Chess?

Currently In the Works Regards
Steve
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Steve B wrote:
nczempin wrote:Hi,

hi Nicolai
i assume you want to "gut " the insides of the board and replace it with your own components/program??

there are many Pressure sensitive boards that have been released so it is hard to name only one for your project

perhaps if you do an Ebay search with the words"Sensory Chess " this can help you..make sure to highlight the "search title and description box"

many computers using the pressure method will appear for you to choose from
and if you can narrow down what you like and ask about them here i and others will be more then happy to discuss your choices with you

Innovative Regards
Steve
Yes, I want to write a chess program for the XGamestation and hook up the LEDs and board instead of (or in addition to) using the screen and joystick.

So far, I've just managed to grab two chess computers for 1 Euro each (plus shipping, which far exceeds the actual price :-), and will see what I can do with them...