New engine from Russia

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

New engine from Russia

Post by WinPooh »

http://sdchess.ru/Strelka.htm
http://sdchess.ru/engines/Strelka.rar

Author claims it plays on the level of 2700-2800. I did not test it yet.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: New engine from Russia

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks Vladimir for pointing this out,I've read that it's an original work that the author started since the year 1983....
Let's hope it's not the next clone on the computer chess scene :roll:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Thanks, Vladimir, it´s already in my HD.

Paulo Soares
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks Vladimir for pointing this out,I've read that it's an original work that the author started since the year 1983....
Let's hope it's not the next clone on the computer chess scene :roll:
Who is the author Wael?

I also hope it's genuine. :wink:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hi Graham,
He's Yuri Osipov from Pushkin city,near Moscow :D
Here is a little info from what I read in russian:
Yuri is working as a programmer in a company in Moscow,he started to work on it in the year 1983 and rewrote the code in the year 1986.
The engine's code is completly standard,but writen in an unorthodox way!
Cheers,
Dr.Wael Deeb
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

BTW,Strelka in russian means Arrow :D
WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

You can read discussion of new engine (in Russian) at http://kasparovchess.crestbook.com/view ... ?pid=77093

Some people say, it does not play under specific types of time control. And it is WB-only engine.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Crude machine translation of the web page, with a few guesses of my own for cleanup:

Strelka by Jury Osipov, Russia

The chess engine Strelka (The Arrow) is written by Osipov. from a ??????? (the Moscow area). Under our first tests, Strelka - is the strongest Russian chess engine and one of the strongest in the world! Here that Jury who works as the programmer in one firm in Moscow has written about the program: " I Write approximately since 1983. In game algorithms has borrowed somewhere to year in 1986. A chess has densely undertaken about ten years ago. A chess has densely undertaken about ten years ago. Wished to realize own, absolutely original algorithm, but anything has not left from this. Therefore for calm has decided to write usual an alpha-beta which was realized in the form of chess chess engine Strelka. About a chess engine anything interesting I can not tell. Anything original there is not present. A chess has densely undertaken about ten years ago. Wished to realize own, absolutely original algorithm, but anything has not left from this. Therefore for calm has decided to write usual an alpha-íÑÔá which was realized in the form of chess chess engine Strelka. About a chess engine anything interesting I can not tell. Anything original there is not present. All already one thousand times has been realized and told by others - even to add there is nothing. Algorithm absolutely standard though can be - a little bit unusual realization. All is constructed on a little bit difficult for understanding bit operations. I once densely was engaged in cryptography, and for me with bit lines it is easier and more clear than operation, than everyones there additions and subtraction ". ??????? archive with ????????? a file it is possible from page DOWNLOAD. All already one thousand times has been realized and told by others - even to add there is nothing. Algorithm absolutely standard though can be - a little bit unusual realization. All is constructed on a little bit difficult for understanding bit operations. I once densely was engaged in cryptography, and for me with bit lines it is easier and more clear than operation, than everyones there additions and subtraction ". ??????? archive with ????????? a file it is possible from page DOWNLOAD. All already one thousand times has been realized and told by others - even to add there is nothing. Algorithm absolutely standard though can be - a little bit unusual realization. All is constructed on a little bit difficult for understanding bit operations. I once densely was engaged in cryptography, and for me with bit lines it is easier and more clear than operation, than everyones there additions and subtraction ". ??????? archive with ????????? a file it is possible from page DOWNLOAD. All already one thousand times has been realized and told by others - even to add there is nothing. Algorithm absolutely standard though can be - a little bit unusual realization. All is constructed on a little bit difficult for understanding bit operations. I once densely was engaged in cryptography, and for me with bit lines it is easier and more clear than operation, than everyones there additions and subtraction ". ??????? archive with ????????? a file it is possible from page DOWNLOAD.

Installation of the program in environment Winboard
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
it is possible to consider Installation of this program typical. File Winboard.ini should have a following appearance:

Code: Select all

Strelka "/fd = " D: \Winboard \Strelka ";/name = " Strelka 1.0 Beta "/group = " t "
Strelka"/sd = "D: \Winboard \Strelka";/name = " Strelka 1.0 Beta "/group = "t" 
There is no opening book. It is necessary to tell, that the chess engine works and in environment Arena! Probably, Strelka works and in environments ChessBase, but we were not in time while it to check up as installation assumes use of the adapter. ??????? a chess engine it is possible from page DOWNLOAD. The detailed description of installation of the program in Winboard environment can be found on page Winboard. To return on main page ??????? a chess engine it is possible from page DOWNLOAD. The detailed description of installation of the program in Winboard environment can be found on page Winboard. To return on the main page[/code]
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

So far, Strelka has failed to recognize the following time formats under Arena:
1. Blitz Game / minutes
2. Base + increment
3. Fixed time per move

The only way I have managed to get Strelka to play is with fixed depth in plies.
Yar

Post by Yar »

to be more precise Strelka in russian means Little Arrow :-)