Scid 3.6.14 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pgeorges

Scid 3.6.14 released

Post by pgeorges »

Hi,

I released Scid 3.6.14 at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/index.html

The changes since 3.6.13 are :

- added an option for PGN output : add spaces conforming to PGN standard. This will be reflected in every place PGN is used (PGN window, PGN export,...)
- fixed a bug (that existed since Scid 1.9 ?!) where Scid would crash importing some very particular games (played on internet), with extraordinary long comments (whispers)
- windows OS :
* updated inno setup and cygwin1.dll
* by default engine starts in low priority to make UI more responsive
- the resign value is now configurable and equal to ++-
- added a draw detection by 3-fold repetition when playing tactical or serious games
- changes to engine handling (both UCI and x/winboard) so engines will be correctly started whatever position (in previous Scid releases it was necessary to move back/forth to wake up some engines). The drawback is some extra latency at start for x/winboard engines (about 1 second).
- fixed a bug in opening report where the number of games displayed was limited to 500
- fixed a bug when adding moves from uci engines
- when an engine finishes a game (blue/grey arrow in analysis window), the function will be turned off after a mate.
- added "ponder off" command so Crafty can be started/stopped with analysis window opened
- added material balance display aside the board
- added a new annotation option "short annotations" : scores and comments (like "weak move played score changes from X to Y") will not be used but only NAG values (annotations are less verbose)
- fixed options setting for some UCI engines. Some engines don't take into account all parameters when they are sent in batch mode, so all option commands are now wrapped with "isready" and "readyok".
- added a command to opening report : "merge games", which will merge as variations the N best games to current game (with a limited ply depth) - still experimental
- updated swedish translation [thanks to Hans Eriksson]

Pascal
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Re: Scid 3.6.14 released

Post by Volker Pittlik »

pgeorges wrote:Hi,

Thank you.

Do you have any plans to enable Scid to handle Fischer Random Chess?

Volker
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
pgeorges wrote:Hi,

Thank you.

Do you have any plans to enable Scid to handle Fischer Random Chess?

Volker
I have strictly no plan for any non standard form of Chess.
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Thanks Pascal.

Would it be possible to extend the ELO insertion process so that after an ELO insertion, an ELO tag is produced in pgn output? Right now the inserted ELO value stays internal to SCID, and disappears when the games in the database are output as a pgn file.
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

Norm Pollock wrote:
Would it be possible to extend the ELO insertion process so that after an ELO insertion, an ELO tag is produced in pgn output? Right now the inserted ELO value stays internal to SCID, and disappears when the games in the database are output as a pgn file.
This works for me : when I add the ELO of players I get the correct tags :
[WhiteElo "2100"]
[BlackElo "2200"]

And they are correctly exported in PGN file.

Can you precise what's going wrong ?
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

pgeorges wrote:
Can you precise what's going wrong ?
It is the elo values with the asterisk "*" that cannot be exported to a pgn file. These elo values seem to be built-in. I took a pgn file, removed its elo values, converted to scid format, and found that some of the games had elo values with asterisks. Then when I exported to a new pgn file, the elo values with asterisks did not create an elo tag. (note: this seems to have nothing to do with the "add elo ratings" command in the maintenance window, as I had previously implied.)
ikalel

Post by ikalel »

When you execute a header search in Scid it just tells you how many games it found at the bottom of the window. It doesn't show you the list of games. The user has to manually call the games list window with Ctrl+L. Shouldn't Scid show you this window automatically after finishing the search?

I assume the user would want to see the list of games that turned up in the search at least most of the time. What do you think, Pascal?
pgeorges

Post by pgeorges »

ikalel wrote:When you execute a header search in Scid it just tells you how many games it found at the bottom of the window. It doesn't show you the list of games. The user has to manually call the games list window with Ctrl+L. Shouldn't Scid show you this window automatically after finishing the search?

I assume the user would want to see the list of games that turned up in the search at least most of the time. What do you think, Pascal?
I assume most, maybe not all, users would like to see the game list. But maybe it is ok like that now ...
ikalel

Post by ikalel »

How does one get ScidBase? Is it still being distributed?
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Hi Pascal,

A few days ago I asked about elo scores that have an asterisk. I now have found out where the asterisks comes from.

If a player has an elo tag in some games, but is missing an elo tag in others, SCID associates the elo score (which one?) to the games without an elo score and denotes them with asterisks. However, SCID does not produce an elo tag for this associated elo score when the database is output to a pgn.

May I suggest that there be an option to produce elo tags for the associated elo scores?

-Norm