Test Position for Dedicated Units

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Test Position for Dedicated Units

Post by Terry McCracken »

[d]2r3k1/3b1ppp/4p3/n2P2Pn/pb1P4/2N1BP2/1P1NB2P/2R3K1 b - - 0 28

Position taken from Gambit Tiger 2.0 vs The Web.

Best Move a3!

This was the move that that put me in the lead, so how could I forget? :wink:

I know one dedicated unit that finds this move very fast and stays with it, while stronger units and many PC programs in 2001 preferred exd.

Terry
Steve B

Re: Test Position for Dedicated Units

Post by Steve B »

Terry McCracken wrote:[d]2r3k1/3b1ppp/4p3/n2P2Pn/pb1P4/2N1BP2/1P1NB2P/2R3K1 b - - 0 28

Best Move a3!

I know one dedicated unit that finds this move very fast and stays with it, while stronger units and many PC programs in 2001 preferred exd.
Terry
hi Terry

the Novag Amber(released in 1997) rated 1965(SS) finds A3! IN 13 Seconds and 6 ply and shows a PV of +.12
it stays with this move for a full 10 minutes

what do you mean by "put you in the lead"?

Testing Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:[d]2r3k1/3b1ppp/4p3/n2P2Pn/pb1P4/2N1BP2/1P1NB2P/2R3K1 b - - 0 28

Best Move a3!

Terry
hi Terry

the Novag Amber(released in 1997) rated 1965(SS) finds A3! IN 13 Seconds and 6 ply and shows a PV of +.12

Testing Regards
Steve
If you go to the site Gambit Tiger 2.0 vs The Web and look at the game I was tied for first with Harrie de Bie, after this move I remained a point ahead and won the DGT Board.

I'm not at all surprised Novag Amber got it right, as Dave Kittenger was the programmer. The machine that I have, Novag Forte "C" 6mgh., 1990, gets this right away and sticks with it.

"Kittenger Klass" Regards,
Terry

P.S. Did you know Dave Kittenger, back in 1990 was a strong expert in chess?
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Best Move a3!

Terry
hi Terry

Testing Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken wrote:
If you go to the site Gambit Tiger 2.0 vs The Web and look at the game I was tied for first with Harrie de Bie, after this move I remained a point ahead and won the DGT Board.

ah...yes .. i see it
well done regards!
Steve