Strelka and Sergei Markoff

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lex

Strelka and Sergei Markoff

Post by lex »

There appears to be some doubts about the identity of Sergei Markoff and his examing the Strelka sources.

I have not been following the Strelka discussion, the only reason I am posting is Sergei asked me to confirm he is really him. As we have a long time business relation I gladly do him this favor.

Lex
(Lokasoft)
Dann Corbit

Re: Strelka and Sergei Markoff

Post by Dann Corbit »

lex wrote:There appears to be some doubts about the identity of Sergei Markoff and his examing the Strelka sources.

I have not been following the Strelka discussion, the only reason I am posting is Sergei asked me to confirm he is really him. As we have a long time business relation I gladly do him this favor.

Lex
(Lokasoft)
It will be very hard to convince me that Strelka is not doing something underhanded. Why all the effort to hide the true nature of the code? It certainly comes at a performanc cost. Since the effort to reverse engineer the assembly of a chess program will be commensurate with writing an engine from scratch, I smell a rat. I have seen this technique twice before, and both times it was to conceal a clone. I am reminded of a Bible passage:

(Psalm 26:4)  4 I have not sat with men of untruth; And with those who hide what they are I do not come in.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Another point:

Who is it that writes an A+ chess engine and a D- Winboard interface for it?

The code quality of the engine is supreme. The Winboard interface looks like it was written by a novice.
Karlo Bala
Full name: Karlo Balla

Post by Karlo Bala »

Dann Corbit wrote:Another point:

Who is it that writes an A+ chess engine and a D- Winboard interface for it?

The code quality of the engine is supreme. The Winboard interface looks like it was written by a novice.
It is also interesting that Strelka and Rybka use almost same amount of memory.
Strelka: mem usage 46,620k page faults 11,640
Rybka1.0: mem usage 46,512k page faults 11,613
:?
Best Regards,
Karlo Balla Jr.