New version of chessbase light

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nuff

New version of chessbase light

Post by nuff »

There is a new version of chessbase light available for download. It looks pretty impressive as a "free toy". This year is not doing too badly. The Rybka GUI is expected, ChessMaster 10 might be out and ChessBase might release a new DB.
cooldalek

Re: New version of chessbase light

Post by cooldalek »

I think this version of chessbase light comes with a free fritz engine too?
nuff

Post by nuff »

It has some improvements like the ability to set dbpath. CTRL+ALT+O I always install trusted apps as Admin and then use them as a non-priveleged user.

It also has a link to the online chess database and the ability to log on to playchess.com Its quite neat.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Yes, it contains the Fritz 6 engine version 6.0.0.74 (Dec. 16th, 2000). This engine has no appearant limitations, with the possible exception that some engine options (i.e. piece values) may be missing. I don't know which options the retail-F6 has. But 6.0.0.74 has 4 options, and the hash table size is selectable as usual. It also accesses the Nalimovs.
Regards, Mike
Travers

Post by Travers »

The web page for ChessBase Light seems to be saying that the free version is quite limited (crippled), particularly when it comes to creating databases and editing games. I suppose this means you can't use it to add variations and analysis of your games.

From http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight2007/index.asp

Upgrade to ChessBase Light Premium

Save,edit and copy games
Create and edit Datatabases

Get program Updates for ChessBase Light Premium
No database limit
Search position in Online Database with
4,2 million games
Multiboard kibitzing on playchess
Extended engine interface for Fritz 10 and UCI engines
Price 49,99 Euro
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Of course you can create databases in Chessbase light. Have you tried?
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

No, we are discussing the new ChessBase Light 2007 version, not the old version. It is Vista compatible and seemingly has most, if not all CB. functions, but it cannot save anything (with the exception of HTML export). Only the "Premium" version can save, but costs € 50-0.01 :mrgreen:

http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight2007/index.asp

But if you see it as a viewer (CBH + PGN), it's probably the best-looking free viewer with the most features, except save to file and - a harsh limitation - without copy to clipboard (paste a game from clipboard is possible).
Regards, Mike