Two questions for mac users

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marc MP

Two questions for mac users

Post by Marc MP »

I happen to have access to an old Mac G4 for computer chess.

1- Is there any place I can download a compiled version of xboard for mac? My knowledge about compiling is null so I'm not able to do it myself.

2- Is there a utility to process epd test sets for mac?

Thank you!,
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Two questions for mac users

Post by zullil »

1- Is there any place I can download a compiled version of xboard for mac?

http://www.finkproject.org/
Marc MP

Post by Marc MP »

zullil wrote:1- Is there any place I can download a compiled version of xboard for mac?

http://www.finkproject.org/
Thank you for the tip! I'll check it out.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Marc MP wrote:I happen to have access to an old Mac G4 for computer chess.

1- Is there any place I can download a compiled version of xboard for mac? My knowledge about compiling is null so I'm not able to do it myself.
As already suggested, using Fink is an option, but if XBoard is all you need I suspect that simply compiling the source code yourself is easier. Just make sure you have X11 and Apples development tools installed, and follow the instructions in the "INSTALL" text file included with XBoard's source code.
2- Is there a utility to process epd test sets for mac?
For XBoard engines, I am not sure. For UCI engines, you can use Polyglot. Just run Polyglot with a command like "polyglot epd-test -epd arasan6.epd -max-time 10".

Tord
sje

Post by sje »

If you don't already have the latest version of Mac OS/X (10.4/Tiger), you'll want to get it. It includes all of the latest development tools along with plenty of other software. Avoid using OS/X 10.2 or earlier as the provided compiler gcc 2.95 is bug infested.

Deactivating certain OS features like Spotlight (an auto indexer) and Dashboard (widget applications) can really help performance on older machines. Also, bumping the RAM will speed up the box; the old PowerMac G4 boxes can handle up to 2 GB under OS/X.

Compilation in Mac OS/X is fairly easy and can be done via the Xcode IDE or with the command line provided by the Terminal application. There are some problems getting certain third party chess software to work on PowerPC machines due to endian differences; sometimes these are worth fixing, sometimes not.