The Strelka Issue in Perspective

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

The Strelka Issue in Perspective

Post by geots »

Unfortunately, i suppose, things dont always work the way everyone would like. Especially in the computer chess world. Programmers, even some of the best, have struggled for years and not produced a program that plays 2700-2800 chess. Then a guy pops up no one has ever heard of with a program no one has ever heard of that plays this kind of chess. Anyone who would tell me that "clone" is not the first thing that pops into their head is, im sorry, just lying to me. Here the said programmer is in effect guilty until proven innocent. I didnt say it was fair. Hell, life is not fair a lot of the time. It's just the nature of the beast in the computer chess world. And i would guess that most likely in a situation such as this with an engine of this strength, 99% of the time it would be a clone. I certainly assumed that it most likely was. Tho i said nothing at the time. I figured it was best to sit back and leave that to the experts like Dann, Hoffman, Uri and others. I really dont think this programmer should think too harshly of the forum members. I really wish he would come on the forum and get to know everyone. It looks as if his contributions could be a valuable asset to us all.

Regards
gerold

Re: The Strelka Issue in Perspective

Post by gerold »

geots wrote:Unfortunately, i suppose, things dont always work the way everyone would like. Especially in the computer chess world. Programmers, even some of the best, have struggled for years and not produced a program that plays 2700-2800 chess. Then a guy pops up no one has ever heard of with a program no one has ever heard of that plays this kind of chess. Anyone who would tell me that "clone" is not the first thing that pops into their head is, im sorry, just lying to me. Here the said programmer is in effect guilty until proven innocent. I didnt say it was fair. Hell, life is not fair a lot of the time. It's just the nature of the beast in the computer chess world. And i would guess that most likely in a situation such as this with an engine of this strength, 99% of the time it would be a clone. I certainly assumed that it most likely was. Tho i said nothing at the time. I figured it was best to sit back and leave that to the experts like Dann, Hoffman, Uri and others. I really dont think this programmer should think too harshly of the forum members. I really wish he would come on the forum and get to know everyone. It looks as if his contributions could be a valuable asset to us all.

Regards
Are you testing this new program George,

Gerold.
geots

Post by geots »

Yes, Gerold. It is one of the engines that is included in a gauntlet against Fritz 10. I loaded it but held off testing it until Hoffman's statement that it is not a clone. I am in no position to know one way or the other. But i have to assume he does.

Regards
fern

Post by fern »

george:
If nobody has got a program to play 2700-2800 as you say, but suddenly a guy appears that do that, then, how it could be, then, a clone of those that does not play at that level?
On the contrary, logic say to me that playing such a level is in itself proof is not a clone.

A Mercedes is not a clone of a Ford Fiesta, right?

my best
fernando
geots

Post by geots »

Fern, you may have misread me. I said that there are a lot of very excellent programmers who have worked for years and not achieved that goal. I didnt say that none had. There are quite a few who have- but the majority havent. No harm done.

Best to you
geots

Post by geots »

geots wrote:Fern, you may have misread me. I said that there are a lot of very excellent programmers who have worked for years and not achieved that goal. I didnt say that none had. There are quite a few who have- but the majority havent. No harm done.

Best to you

Upon rereading my original thread, I apologize to you Fern. The way i worded it, i can easily see how you drew your conclusion. I just didnt state it properly. My fault- not yours.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Nothing has made computer chess more interesting than the release of Strelka. The only engine that made this kind of reaction before was Rybka, and I honestly hope that the programmer will continue to improve it. Since we all know that it has obvious flaws, just fixing them should give the engine a nice boost in strength and place it at the level of the strongest engines.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Tony Thomas wrote:Nothing has made computer chess more interesting than the release of Strelka. The only engine that made this kind of reaction before was Rybka, and I honestly hope that the programmer will continue to improve it. Since we all know that it has obvious flaws, just fixing them should give the engine a nice boost in strength and place it at the level of the strongest engines.
Every strong new engine gets the Strelka reaction.

Ruffian certainly springs to mind as a big shock to the system of Winboard fanatics.

I talked the Scorpio author, Daniel Shawul, out of quitting computer chess forever. I think he got the most adverse reaction I have ever seen (he did borrow from Crafty's SEE {not knowing this to be an offense}, which he later completely rewrote).

For some reason Glaurung never started a tornado, but it makes its own wind now. Better batten down the hatches.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:Nothing has made computer chess more interesting than the release of Strelka. The only engine that made this kind of reaction before was Rybka, and I honestly hope that the programmer will continue to improve it. Since we all know that it has obvious flaws, just fixing them should give the engine a nice boost in strength and place it at the level of the strongest engines.

Ruffian certainly springs to mind as a big shock to the system of Winboard fanatics.

I talked the Scorpio author, Daniel Shawul, out of quitting computer chess forever. I think he got the most adverse reaction I have ever seen (he did borrow from Crafty's SEE {not knowing this to be an offense}, which he later completely rewrote).

For some reason Glaurung never started a tornado, but it makes its own wind now. Better batten down the hatches.
First time I saw ruffian in action was in WBEC. Yes, I was astonished as well, but at that time cloning wasnt as common as it is now. Then it was just a private engine, and I wasnt a member of any chess forum other than my occasional postings at winboard forum. I didnt know that part of history about Scorpio, may be it happened before it was even scorpio. I knew that Daniel talked about quitting then he came back with one of the strongest open source engines. Well, currently it is Strelka's time and it is receiving well deserved attention. I am afraid that I have to wait until he releases a version that supports fisher time controls.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

First time I saw ruffian in action was in WBEC. Yes, I was astonished as well, but at that time cloning wasnt as common as it is now. Then it was just a private engine, and I wasnt a member of any chess forum other than my occasional postings at winboard forum. I didnt know that part of history about Scorpio, may be it happened before it was even scorpio. I knew that Daniel talked about quitting then he came back with one of the strongest open source engines. Well, currently it is Strelka's time and it is receiving well deserved attention. I am afraid that I have to wait until he releases a version that supports fisher time controls.
It was called DanChess at its original inception.