Hiarcs not everybody's cup of tea?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: Hiarcs not everybody's cup of tea?

Post by geots »

fern wrote:At least it is my cup of tea. Perhaps second in streght to Rybka, anyway is more than a match for me in that aspect and what is more, I consider it first in quality of the game, in its capability to entertain and give great fun.
Rybka is perhaps somewhat -not much- stronger, but also duller.
Yesterday I played a serious game with Hiarcs. I was playing really well and at around move 35 I was even already thinking how I was going to materalize my advantage. Then, in a sudden, the beast found a resource, some counterplay, and then killed me around move 45.
Thats the thrill...

From the Hades Regards
Fernando

Hiarcs has beaten you?! I admit it has managed a few draws against me. But a win- never. :D :D :D :D
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

geots wrote:
fern wrote:At least it is my cup of tea. Perhaps second in streght to Rybka, anyway is more than a match for me in that aspect and what is more, I consider it first in quality of the game, in its capability to entertain and give great fun.
Rybka is perhaps somewhat -not much- stronger, but also duller.
Yesterday I played a serious game with Hiarcs. I was playing really well and at around move 35 I was even already thinking how I was going to materalize my advantage. Then, in a sudden, the beast found a resource, some counterplay, and then killed me around move 45.
Thats the thrill...

From the Hades Regards
Fernando

Hiarcs has beaten you?! I admit it has managed a few draws against me. But a win- never. :D :D :D :D
:lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Hi Harvey,

Of course: the little known program 'Everybody's cup of tea', which will hopefully hit the market soon :D

Have a good time in Leiden!

Jeroen
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

Harvey,

Forgot to mention: 'Everybody's cup of tea' is written by Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson. It is not a big success, though. After 1.e4 it smashes you in the face, trying to win by KO....

Best wishes, Jeroen
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Uri Blass wrote: No
It is not correct that Zap is clearly better than hiarcs
I agree that you are right here, but only partially IMHO.

In fact the distance between rybka and followers is much greater than the one between Hiarcs and those which are just behind it even on 32bits single CPUs (see F10 or free rybka or Toga, ...).

So all these posts saying that rybka apart we have a second clearly dominating engine are not founded IMHO.

At this time, even limiting the discussion to 32b single processors, hiarcs is just "primus inter pares" and is still far from having proven that it is the "second dominator".

This is just what I liked to say:
I am still surprised to see that the much "louder" public presence of Hiarcs team in forums like the CCC is enough to convince many people of things that are not that clear.

That's like all these years of claims for the so-called "human touch" of Hiarcs play : I did never see any objective support for this.

In the present state of things, those who wish to make some deep analysis cannot do it without some version of rybka.

At the opposite Hiarcs is in no way mandatory.

For what regards myself I do not use Hiarcs for my analyses and I prefer to rely on some oldies like shredder and junior in some kinds of positions for complementing Rybka's advices. I really do not feel I miss something that great because I do not use Hiarcs.

Do you have many examples of positions where Hiarcs'analysis is clearly superior to that of those engines that are just behind it in the rating lists ?

There are thousands of such examples for rybka versus others. Not for Hiarcs AFAIK.
Uri Blass wrote:It is correct only if you are rich and have money for super hardware.
A basic dual core is entry level hardware nowadays and the price of quads will drop this summer.

Marc
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Jeroen wrote:Harvey,

Forgot to mention: 'Everybody's cup of tea' is written by Rik Mayall and Ade Edmonson. It is not a big success, though. After 1.e4 it smashes you in the face, trying to win by KO....

Best wishes, Jeroen
Hilarious, I needed something to crack me up today morning.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Regarding this issue I think that the CCRL results are more accurate 8-)
I still say that you can't rely on one rating list. You must look at several to get an overall picture.
All rating lists have anomalies including the CCRL lists.

Regards, Graham.
fern

Post by fern »

Hahaha george, you are a fantastic lier. Are you a 2700 elo player?
No?
Well, then if you play without silly tricks as those of anti computer kind, it is just imposible to win and just let Hiarcs get a draw.
My impression is: you lose every game to Hiarcs around move 14.....

Just to provoke you regards
Fernando
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

fern wrote:Hahaha george, you are a fantastic lier. Are you a 2700 elo player?
No?
Well, then if you play without silly tricks as those of anti computer kind, it is just imposible to win and just let Hiarcs get a draw.
My impression is: you lose every game to Hiarcs around move 14.....

Just to provoke you regards
Fernando
You do understand Fernando that George was joking,right?
BTW,when I have time,I'll post games where I have managed to beat Shredder 10,Fritz 9,etc....playing normal chess using long time controls on a decent hardware 8-)
Cheers,
Dr.Wael Deeb
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
fern

Post by fern »

Of course I understood that. Now, do you understand that I was also joking?
Now tell me how do you win those monsters in such conditions if you are not a 2700 player.
I am pretty strong player and cannot do it.

Looking forward your recipe regards
Fernando