Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cooldalek

Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Post by cooldalek »

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a dirt cheap 2nd hand pc off ebay just to run my engine matches, maybe a desktop, maybe a laptop.

Certainly single CPU

What's the lowest spec I can get away with?
Tony Thomas

Re: Lowest spec PC to run engine matches

Post by Tony Thomas »

cooldalek wrote:Hi

I'm thinking of buying a dirt cheap 2nd hand pc off ebay just to run my engine matches, maybe a desktop, maybe a laptop.

Certainly single CPU

In 1998 I was running my matches on a Pentium 500 Mhz with 128MB of total Ram. I was using 16MB of memory for each engine and I was using chessbase GUI at the time with that crappy winboard adapter. Still Yace and few other engines manage to put out a decent defense against the ex-monster namely Fritz.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Depends on what time control you want to run and what quality of games
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Can you leave comps running for a few days at a time on engine matches? Or will they overheat?

Assume laptops more likely to overheat than desktops?
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

cooldalek wrote:Can you leave comps running for a few days at a time on engine matches? Or will they overheat?

My current Desktop, an Intel Celeron D 2800MHZ sometimes run for 48 hours playing test games for Romichess. I have never had any over heating problem. Note that my air condition is set to 70 Degree Farenheit, aproximately 21 degree Celsius.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

cooldalek wrote:Can you leave comps running for a few days at a time on engine matches? Or will they overheat?

My three computers run chess 24/7 with reboots the only break. :wink:

Regarding hardware, don't go for anything worse than a Pentium 3 or Athlon 1800.

Regards, Graham.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

cooldalek wrote:Hi

Certainly single CPU

A faster machine will produce more games of the same quality faster.

Component prices are crashing and if you are prepared to overclock (which does not have to be risky if you are not greedy). You can build an inexpensive machine that is so powerful.

Areas where you should save money if it is for chess only -

Graphics card you do not need anything more than a basic card.
Features firewire / gigabit ethernet etc are not required.

It is also worth considering running costs - it can cost £100+ a year to run a pc 24x7 - if you consider enery efficiency you can get back the cost of a decent power supply in 2-3 years. Alternatively if the machine is more powerful then for the same number of game you might only need to run half the time.

Some thoughts

Shaun
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Do "core 2 Duo" and "Dual core " both mean the pc is multi-processor?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

cooldalek wrote:Do "core 2 Duo" and "Dual core " both mean the pc is multi-processor?
Yes,as the "Core 2 Duo" is the next generation which is much faster than the "Core Duo",by Intel of course :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

thanks for the very quick response Deeb