Participants WCCC 2007

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Participants WCCC 2007

Post by hgm »

Seems micro-Max will finish in the top 10 at the next WCCC! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Code: Select all

Rank Program Country Hardware Title  
0 Diep  NLD 4 core AMD K8 2.4Ghz  
0 IsiChess  DEU   
0 Jonny  DEU Intel Core2Duo@3.4GHz, 1 GB RAM  
0 micro-Max  NLD   
0 Rybka  HUN   
0 Shredder  DEU   
0 The Baron  NLD 
Harvey Williamson

Re: Participants WCCC 2007

Post by Harvey Williamson »

hgm wrote:Seems micro-Max will finish in the top 10 at the next WCCC! :lol: :lol: :lol:

0 IsiChess  DEU   
0 micro-Max  NLD   
0 Rybka  HUN   
0 Shredder  DEU   
0 The Baron  NLD 
Congratulations on your top 10 finish :D

I am sure a few more will join - due to the very short notice of the event sadly Hiarcs will not be there. However we hope to be back in Leiden later in the year and it would be nice to go to China in 2008.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

It's interesting if you check out the past winners: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Comp ... ampionship

Junior and Shredder are clearly dominant. People will talk about other engines being stronger etc etc but the authors of these progs perhaps are better at configuring their opening books against their opponents for a one off game?

Junior and Shredder are also entertaining programs so I'm glad they have a good history!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

hgm wrote:Seems micro-Max will finish in the top 10 at the next WCCC! :lol: :lol: :lol:

0 IsiChess  DEU   
0 micro-Max  NLD   
0 Rybka  HUN   
0 Shredder  DEU   
0 The Baron  NLD 
I wonder why micromax plays
Is it better than Joker?

Note that I saw that in their last game micromax got a winning advantage against Joker and it seems that it simply lost on time.

Uri
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Yes, that was a shameful display by Joker, and is one of the reasons it doesn't play. I suspect there is an ilusive bug somewhere in Joker, because in that game it completely voluntarily gave the exchange in an extremely obvious way. (It put a Rook that could have gone anywhere and didn't have to be played at all on the same diagonal as his other Rook, where they were immediately pinned down on each other by a Bishop, with only a single intervening check as possible delaying move, so a 5-ply search should have seen that, while it was reporting 13 ply.)

The only reason uMax lost that game was that I was operating uMax, and I am a lousy operator. I let the time slip by talking too much with others rather than paying attention to when uMax moved. (Unlike my laptop, the desktop I brought did not make an audible sound when it moved.) I was playing under Winboard, and could not think of a way to bring the time on the Winboard clock in accordance with that on the official clock, as the 'save game' menu item of Winboard_x seems buggy. By the time I had discovered that the game history was accessible in another window, so that I could copy-paste it into a newly started Winboard set with another time control, there was only 4 min left on the clock, and it was physically impossible to do perform the moves fast enough to prevent forfeiting on time. Due to the very uneven time distribution uMax had by that time probably missed the winning line anyway. Shame on Joker. Shame on me. Too bad for uMax.

On the average Joker still tests ~300 ELO stronger than uMax, though. But Joker is still just one not-so-good engine amongst hundreds of similar ones. Micro-Max, on the other hand, is unique because it is the World's smallest chess program, and by a very large margin the only program that has more ELO points than characters of source code. Due to this special status I thought it would have more right to appear in a WCCC then uMax. The organizers more or less agreed with this reasoning, so I entered uMax. Both engines would almost certainly lose all their games anyway, but at least uMax has a good excuse!

I might still have time to make it SMP... :lol:
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

0 IsiChess  DEU   
0 micro-Max  NLD   
0 Rybka  HUN   
0 Shredder  DEU   
0 The Baron  NLD 
You did not give a link but I found a link and there are more participants
Loop and Deep Sjeng also participate

http://amsterdam2007.icga.org/

going down to the bottom of the page clicking chess I find

0 Diep NLD 4 core AMD K8 2.4Ghz
0 IsiChess DEU
0 Jonny DEU Intel Core2Duo@3.4GHz, 1 GB RAM
0 Loop DEU Kentsfield @ 3,2-3,4 GHz; Woodcrest 3,0 GHz
0 micro-Max NLD
0 Rybka HUN
0 Shredder DEU
0 Deep Sjeng BEL 2 x Intel Xeon 5355
0 The Baron NLD
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... 173&lang=6

Now we are already 10. Another big iron - puhh

GridChess by Kai Himstedt and Ulf Lorenz
Thomas Gaksch Toga parts
Fabien Letouzey Fruit parts
Robert Hyatt Crafty parts

No idea whether the Sleep In still exist, but no need to take an expensive hotel. There are nice camping sites near by.
Come on guys, take a week off, register and come to Amsterdam and lets have a huge computer chess party.

Cheers,
Gerd
GS

Post by GS »

Gerd Isenberg wrote:http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/t ... 173&lang=6

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

No idea whether the Sleep In still exist, but no need to take an expensive hotel. There are nice camping sites near by.
Come on guys, take a week off, register and come to Amsterdam and lets have a huge computer chess party.

Cheers,
Gerd
Hi Gerd,

I did not know that Fruit plus 2 Fruit derivates are allowed in
a WCC event?

Cheers,
Guenther
Guetti

Post by Guetti »

GS wrote:

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd
Hi Gerd,

I did not know that Fruit plus 2 Fruit derivates are allowed in
a WCC event?

Cheers,
Guenther
You probably misunderstood, there is only one new entry, Gridchess, which is based on Crafty, Fruit, and Toga:

GridChess is composed of two major components: 1) The proxy chess engine (Crafty based) performs no tree search itself but has some kind of a master role to control the optimistic pondering with distributed worker clients. As a simplified explanation of optimistic pondering here, one can imagine the worker clients forming a pondering pipeline with expected opponent moves extracting this information from the principal variations provided by the chess engines. 2) Real chess engines (controlled by distributed worker clients), Fruit/Toga based, parallelized with Young Brothers Wait Concept (YBWC). This way a combination of two parallel concepts was realized building the complete GridChess system: The parallel Fruit/Toga base engines using the YBWC may run on high performance clusters, each cluster representing a worker client for the proxy chess engine. Several such clusters are then used for an asynchronous distributed game-tree search with the optimistic pondering method.
Guetti

Post by Guetti »

Thomas Gaksch Toga parts

Cheers,
Gerd
Yes, come on guys, strip toghether some parts of glaurung, scorpio and fruit and off you go to the WCCC. :lol: