Thomas, don't go!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Go Quickly and Quietly.....Shut the door after you......

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Martin T wrote:I can certainly understand why Thomas doesn't want a part of this.

Is this kindergarden?
No....just some facts being put in public.

Perhaps you would like to translate this fo me......

================================

Hallo,
anbei sende ich Ihnen eine BETA Version 0.92 (UCI) von Toga II zu. Sie können das Programm gerne im Turnier oder in Ihrer Liga einsetzen.
Toga ist für eine Amateur Engine relativ gut, aber deutlich schlechter als die kommerziellen Produkte wie z.b. Shredder oder Junior.
Ich wünsche Ihnen viel Spass mit der Engine.

Grüße

Thomas

=============================

I got to "Amateur Engine" and then got stuck.....

Christopher
Guetti

Re: Thomas, don't go!

Post by Guetti »

Stan Arts wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:I feel the same way as well Kirill. All the ones that are attacking him are player haters, have some sportsman spirit people. :wink:

Sportsmanship is not:

Having a boatrace, most participants build the boat entirely themselves and as means of propulsion most start off with a sail because it's not so easy to ironcast a motor, etc. But another participant, not quite in the spirit of the race, starts off with a ready made 4000 BHP catamaran powerboat (with some rough edges still, it's quite new), that he tweaks and irons out the rough edges a little bit so he has 4050 BHP.

Quite an achievement.

Very sportive.

Stan

Ps. The crowd however is deeply amazed, "4050 BHP! He must be a genius!"
Very true.
I don't see why people have problems with this analogy. This is exactly what happened.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Alessandro Scotti wrote:Image
Hey Tony,

This has been a very sad couple of days. Was it not Alessandro that you were saying was such a great guy and that he never made a negative post about anyone. How ironic that the first negative post would be about you. I guess that proves that you did not know what you were talking about after all! :lol:

No one is allowed to disagree with certain people and live. It is just that simple. But, they are immortal, because, they never sin and never, never, never are they wrong.

The Terry's of this world rule here. There is no room for mere mortals on their planet. The dead horse that they beat is their own soul and they don't even know it.

Your friend,
Mike
Alessandro wasnt talking about me, he was talking about people who attacks Thomas all the time. So I just posted back with another picture that says stop the beating already. :wink:
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Volker Pittlik wrote:
Alessandro Scotti wrote:...
Of course he has to hit harder!
May be hitting at another spot would make a difference.
F.Huber

Post by F.Huber »

Martin T wrote:I can certainly understand why Thomas doesn't want a part of this.

Is this kindergarden?
No, not a kindergarden, but a madhouse! :wink:
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Last edited by cooldalek on Thu May 31, 2007 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Banks

Thread being watched and moderated as necessary

Post by Graham Banks »

Leave out the insults please everybody.

You're all entitled to your opinion on the Toga issue one way or the other, but your opinion doesn't need to include insults.

Regards, Graham (moderation)
tiger

Post by tiger »

Tony Thomas wrote:I feel the same way as well Kirill. All the ones that are attacking him are player haters, have some sportsman spirit people. :wink:

I have not read any attack against Thomas so for me all this thread is coming out of the blue for no real reason.

// Christophe
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Hi Stan,
Stan Arts wrote:

Sportsmanship is not:

Having a boatrace, most participants build the boat entirely themselves and as means of propulsion most start off with a sail because it's not so easy to ironcast a motor, etc. But another participant, not quite in the spirit of the race, starts off with a ready made 4000 BHP catamaran powerboat (with some rough edges still, it's quite new), that he tweaks and irons out the rough edges a little bit so he has 4050 BHP.

Quite an achievement.

Very sportive.

Stan

Ps. The crowd however is deeply amazed, "4050 BHP! He must be a genius!"
I totally agree here with you except that his achievement was a bit bigger, when you start with 4000 BHP he made 4400 BHP out of it and of course that IS remarkable.
I had several discussions with Thomas here and there, finally he knows that he had a very bad start, but he apologized several times and as Richard in another thread already pointed out: there is nothing wrong with Toga based on fruit and a lot of people have fun with it, simply because it IS a huge contribution by Thomas to the chess comunity. Also in our discussions Thomas agreed that he would not like to take part at competitions like WCCC, IPCCC etc. because he knows that his starting point was way different from those that wrote something original. In fact, as far as I understood him he knows that taking part in such events would be against sportsmanship.
To speculate now about what Thomas may had done when it wouldn't be discovered is crap. It was discovered. Period. So in fact I made my freedom with Toga based on Fruit and Thomas.
Thomas decission to give permission to GridChess for participating at WCCC was maybe a bit shortsighted but I don't know the complete circomstances. In my opinion the scandal is not that he gave permission, the scandal is that ICGA allows this, because it is pretty clear when you read Bobs statement that at least Bob is no team member.
So it is the ICGA which should be tought some lessons about sportsmanship. But I do not have much hope... They need 12 participants for their sold 11 rounds tournaments. So no chance that they will make any decissions just because of sportsmanship. Only money counts rest seems to be unimportant.
But to get back to this thread: a) Thomas still reads here, so isn't completely away, b) as far as I know his decission to quit computerchess (or better I would say to make a brake... :) has nothing to do with us or critics from some people (by the way, where was he really attacked ?) - he got father and that is the best reason to stop a bit with computerchess. But as I pointed out elsewhere: he is infected by the computerchess virus, he will come back, believe me.

Greets, Thomas
revengeska

Post by revengeska »

Christopher Conkie wrote:With the amount of time Thomas put into Toga, by now he would have an original engine if that time had been spent in a more productive way.

It's quite simple really. Some want an easy way to the top.

That is completely unfair to the all those original engine programmers out there.

Regards

Christopher

Are you kidding me??

The GPL gives him full rights to take the code, modify it, and redistribute it as he chooses. He doesn't even have to say it was based on Fruit! I applaud him for contributing to the open source community in making this code stronger. If Fabien didn't want the code to be modified and redistributed, he should've had the source closed. The GPL gives Thomas the RIGHT to modify and redistribute it. His work obviously did good and therefore went beyond "clone" status. The only ones whining about clones either don't like or don't understand the spirit of open source.