Twisted Logic 20070602 released!!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Twisted Logic 20070602 released!!!

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Hi everyone,

Its time for me to say goodbye to my old engine and say hello to a new one. This is the first official release of my engine that I've been developing for around two months now. Behold Twisted Logic 20070602!

I had been planning this to be released on my 23rd birthday 3 days ago but then I'm too busy. I have just graduated from Computer Engineering last April and I will be working as a College Instructor starting the first Monday of June, that would be tomorrow. Good luck to my teaching stint!

The strenght is somewhere around 2600 relative to the CCRL rating list, but I'm not sure of this. Note that Rybka is somewhere around 3000+.

My first released engine (Twisted Logic 0.001) around two years ago is only rated at 1600. This means that I improved by around 1000 elo points by rewriting my engine from scratch with two years of computer chess programming experience. This also means that after two years again, after I rewrite my engine again, it would be rated 3600 already, enough to surpass Rybka, unless it will be improved greatly at that time. Hehehe. Just kidding. :)

Anyways, I will try to improve it further. I have just implemented what are the standard algorithms nowadays but I will try to invent my own. I know there is still a lot of room for improvement here. I have lots of ideas but I can't find time to implement it. I'm too busy with work now, and I'm a little bit pressured because of the fact that one of my girlfriend is already 4 months pregnant. :?

I'm too out of topic already. Just send me any feedback through e-mail. I need feedback like: the engine plays too agressive, or it moves its pawn a lot, or it values mobility too much, and not like: it plays weaker than Rybka or that it loses too much against commercial programs, etc.

Enjoy testing and playing! 8-)

http://www.geocities.com/ed_apostol/index.htm

Edsel Apostol
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Re: Twisted Logic 20070602 released!!!

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Edsel Apostol wrote: Anyways, I will try to improve it further. I have just implemented what are the standard algorithms nowadays but I will try to invent my own. I know there is still a lot of room for improvement here. I have lots of ideas but I can't find time to implement it. I'm too busy with work now, and I'm a little bit pressured because of the fact that one of my girlfriend is already 4 months pregnant. :?
Hi !

Congrats and thanks for the new version.

Well, maybe allow to ask you this question: Do you have a "harem" ??
Lucky boy :D 8-) :lol:

BTW Going to be father is the best thing on earth :)

Best,
Daniel
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
Edsel Apostol wrote: Anyways, I will try to improve it further. I have just implemented what are the standard algorithms nowadays but I will try to invent my own. I know there is still a lot of room for improvement here. I have lots of ideas but I can't find time to implement it. I'm too busy with work now, and I'm a little bit pressured because of the fact that one of my girlfriend is already 4 months pregnant. :?
Hi !

Congrats and thanks for the new version.

Well, maybe allow to ask you this question: Do you have a "harem" ??
Lucky boy :D 8-) :lol:

BTW Going to be father is the best thing on earth :)

Best,
Daniel
I was just about to ask the same question as Daniel :P
BTW,if another girl friend get pregnant,you will stop developing your engine for sure....

:lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Hi Edsel,

Congratulations on all accounts.

I noticed that there is a time management situation with TL. I'm using TL in a 2'+1" scenario so what I have to say might or might not apply to other scenarios. In this situation, TL uses a predetermined amount of time to analyze each move. The amount of time decreases slightly as the move number increases. While this helps avoid running out of time, it is not efficient. Some moves could be done instantaneously, while others should use more than the average amount of time.

Keep up the good work!

-Norm
gerold

Post by gerold »

Edsel Thanks for the new program.
Hope you can find time for your work to improve the program.
Teaching will take up most of your time. You will find that
teaching is a 24/7 job. Most of your time in that field will be taken
up outside the class room.

Good luck,

Gerold.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Hi Edsel,

sorry to the bearer of bad news, but Twisted Logic 20070602 crashed twice in its first two games under Arena.
I'm not going to test it further at this stage. :(

Regards, Graham.
fern

Post by fern »

"one of my girlfriends"?
My God, I do not know how good your software is, but your talents for insemination seems to be of high class.

My best
fernando
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:D

...................salamat po................

ty 4 a coool TL chess program :wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
geots

Post by geots »

Graham Banks wrote:Hi Edsel,

sorry to the bearer of bad news, but Twisted Logic 20070602 crashed twice in its first two games under Arena.
I'm not going to test it further at this stage. :(

Regards, Graham.

Also crashes in chessbase guis :(
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Hi George and Graham,

It sometimes crashes once in 100 games in my machine too. :( I need to fix that. I'm using Arena 1.1. I was even excited how it would fair on CCRL compared to my old versions. Anyway, is there some tools that can be used to determine if a program has either created a "divide by zero" error or an "array overflow"? Because I think that I would have a hard time looking it up in my source code if I couldn't use tools like that.

Hi Norm,

About the time control, well I need to fix that also. I thought that when I used less time per move that it won't be losing on time, I usually tested with 1' + 1" time control, but since you advised that it is inefficient, I will change it.

Dr Wael and Daniel,

About the girlfriends, they are from different places so I don't have a hard time keeping it known from each other that they are sharing for my attention. :) Well I think that I need to focus on that pregnant one now. Lucky girl, though I don't want to get married yet. I'm already excited. I hope it is a son.

Hi Gerold,

You're right, teaching indeed is time consuming.

Hi Fern,

The software is somewhat promising. I hope that my programming talent could match that talent you've mentioned. :)

Smiling Regards,
Edsel

Hi Claire,

8-)