It is official now: 2002 ELO with 1961 characters!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

nczempin

Re: It is official now: 2002 ELO with 1961 characters!

Post by nczempin »

Tony Thomas wrote:
nczempin wrote: Hi Piotr,

I'm working on some chess code (maximum of 2048 12-bit words) for a little hardware project called the XGamestation. Since my version is for the "Pico Edition", it would be very fitting to call it "PicoChess". Of course it could cause confusion with you engine. However, my version is not really an "engine", it won't run on a PC, and only about 3 people in the world will try it out. Would you mind me calling the program "PicoChess" (and of course providing a link to your engine home page in case anyone accidentally finds my program instead of PicoSzachy) under these circumstances?
Why do you have to call it Pico? Call it milli or Femto for a change. :wink:
I know you're joking, but of course I want to call it the Pico because that's what André Lamothe called his console. When I port it to the Micro Edition I'll call that version Microchess, and for the Hydra presumable Hydrachess...

I was actually thinking Femto, but it's kinda weird to have Femtochess running on the Pico Edition XGamestation...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The name MicroChess is also taken already, by the famous KIM-1 program.

Better think of something else.

How about Chess Piccolo and Chess Microbe, respectively?
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

hgm wrote:The name MicroChess is also taken already, by the famous KIM-1 program.

Oh yeah, how could I forget that?

Perhaps I'll just call them "Pico Edition XGamestation Chess" and "Micro Edition XGamestation Chess".
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

nczempin wrote:
hgm wrote:The name MicroChess is also taken already, by the famous KIM-1 program.

Oh yeah, how could I forget that?

Perhaps I'll just call them "Pico Edition XGamestation Chess" and "Micro Edition XGamestation Chess".
Actually Piccolo and Microbe are way too creative for me :-)

Incidentally, I'll get into naming trouble once I write a chess program for the Hydra.

I only remembered this project because on Saturday, we had the "long night of the sciences" in Berlin, where the universities showed off some of their projects between 5 pm and 1 am. In some presentation by the TU maths department, the presenter casually mentioned that Ulf Lorenz had helped with the algorithm to optimize the Berlin underground timetable.

He claimed that only last week Dr. Lorenz had mentioned that Hydra was the world's best chess computer. Of course I challenged this claim (mentioning Rybka), explaining that this would be the same as Robert Fischer still claiming to be the World Champion.

[Any further discussion on the Hydra should probably go into a separate thread]