Opening Book question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Patatov

Opening Book question

Post by Patatov »

Hello, I'd like to create a Book to simulate a player openings... For example, let say I want my engine to play like Aronian...
I can easily found a bunch of games of Aronian but if I build a book based on these games, it will take into account the lines picked by all the opponents as well.
Do you know how I can make the engine to play only Aronian lines with white and pick only Aronian's line with black?... I hope this is not to much confusing
Thanks in advance
nuff

Re: Opening Book question

Post by nuff »

Like one of the ChessMaster personalities? You could get Aronian's games and create an opening book with that but it will be missing obvious lines. Perhaps one of the testers could help you out here.

That gives me the idea of creating an opening book from my online games but then colouring red the non book moves from a generic book.
Mike S.

Re: Opening Book question

Post by Mike S. »

That is simple to do: You need TWO books :idea: One generated from the games where Aronian had white and another one from the games where he had black. By that, the books can only choose from Aronian's moves, if you choose the Aronian-W book for the game where you have black, and the Aronian-B book for the games where you have white.

The bigger problem is that such a book represents only the repertoire which has been played in published games, but not the complete repertoire a player knows. In other words, perhaps you may often notice that there are no book moves anymore while the human player himself would be able to reply from his theory knowledge, still. Typical for that would be variations which are rare among top GMs.

If you intend to use such a book for automatic engine games on a server, the problem will be that (most probably) your interface will have only ONE choice for the book. Once I had made a proposal to make different book choices in Fritz possible, for white or black, but afaik that was never implemented.

In that case, another idea would be to use only the wins of a player, to generate the book. That would result in percentages of 0% for his opponent's moves, and again, only the player's moves could be chosen by the book. But I would only recommend that if you have a reasonable number of games/wins to generate from, maybe 1,000+
Regards, Mike