If Vas were to retire today?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How long would in take to replace Rybka?

Less than 1 year
28%
1 year
13%
2 years
36%
3 years or more
23%

Total votes: 53

George Tsavdaris

Re: If Vas were to retire today?

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Isaksen wrote:Can't come up of any other programmer than Vas himself, that could do that. In my opinion it would be money well earned.
Who else than a programmer who created Rybka, might also create one even stronger than her.
That logic can't stand.
Many years before it was not Rybka, the strongest engine.
For example it was Shredder 9 where it was leading everything. Wins, wins, wins! Complete domination.
So that time with the same logic, only SMK could create something even stronger than S9. Yet we know of course that other programmers later created stronger engines than S9.

Yes Vasik can create a stronger Rybka than the current one, but other programmers can create a stronger one too.....
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Jim Walker wrote:Hello George,
I like your Avatar. Can you tell me how to do that or at least refer me to some instructions somewhere?
Thanks,
Jim
I took a picture of a 3D board from Chessmaster 9000 or Deep Fritz 8 GUI, found a suitable Bush and pineapple picture and then with paint-shop-pro(photoshop does the job too) it was easy to combine all these to 2 pictures.
And with GIF Animator it is a 10 second job to create an animated picture with these 2 pictures.....
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

Enrico wrote:Hello.

You must refer specifically to Rybka 1.0 64-bit? Multiple single-cpu engines have surpassed Rybka 1.0 32-bit...

Regards,

-elc.
Yes, I was talking about Rybka 1.0 64-bit. :-)
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Knowing that Strelka is a bitboard engine, it would be able to catch up with Rybka 1.0 64 bit with just few bugfixes and the release of a 64bit version.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

It will be interesting to see if any engines are ahead of Rybka 2.3.2 on the rating lists in less than 2 years - I hope so but perhaps doubt it :shock:
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

AdminX wrote:If Vas was to retire from Rybka development today, and only opening book and tablebase improvement continued for Rybka, then how long would it take for a program to replace Rybka from the top of the rating list?
Bah, like this would ever happen... I don't waste my time answering non-sensical questions !
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]