How Long?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cornetmike

How Long?

Post by cornetmike »

How long will it be before chess programs are so strong that leading grandmasters can, at best, only get draws? Is that day already here?

regards
Mikey

p.s. I think there will come a time when chess programs won't need opening books and still be unbeatable by humans.
Terry McCracken

Re: How Long?

Post by Terry McCracken »

cornetmike wrote:How long will it be before chess programs are so strong that leading grandmasters can, at best, only get draws? Is that day already here?

regards
Mikey

p.s. I think there will come a time when chess programs won't need opening books and still be unbeatable by humans.
The day isn't too far off, post 2010.
Zagalo

Post by Zagalo »

Its already here. Rybka in a quad system.

Also Zappa and probably a few others will do.

Even Fritz, a relatively weaker engine, beat the well prepared world champion and didn't lose a single game

However, there will always be weak programs, by beginner programmers, that will lose to most GMs
Leto

Post by Leto »

Zagalo wrote:Its already here. Rybka in a quad system.

Even Fritz, a relatively weaker engine, beat the well prepared world champion and didn't lose a single game

However, there will always be weak programs, by beginner programmers, that will lose to most GMs
Talking about the DF10 vs Kramnik match, did anyone notice that DF10 was only running on a laptop for that match and handled Kramnik easily, and yet even with much better hardware for its match against DJ it couldn't even get a single win. I think that shows the huge difference in strength between super GM's and top engines. Who knows, maybe if the Fritz team used the same hardware they used against Junior for their match against Kramnik, maybe Kramnik would have lost all 6 games.

I agree with Zagalo, I think it's already here, Rybka on a quad system, no human can score a win. And a quad is nothing these days, some people are running 16 cores, and some even running 32 cores.
Terry McCracken

A few GM games and you know? :roll:
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

i think there is a significant difference in the results GMs get Today against the top Engines depending on the first move

as White i think they are still playing close to equal but with the Black pieces its already no contest

i wonder if anyone has recent statistics on that?

Ebony and Ivory Regards
Steve
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Leto wrote:

Talking about the DF10 vs Kramnik match, did anyone notice that DF10 was only running on a laptop for that match and handled Kramnik easily, and yet even with much better hardware for its match against DJ it couldn't even get a single win. I think that shows the huge difference in strength between super GM's and top engines. Who knows, maybe if the Fritz team used the same hardware they used against Junior for their match against Kramnik, maybe Kramnik would have lost all 6 games.

I agree with Zagalo, I think it's already here, Rybka on a quad system, no human can score a win. And a quad is nothing these days, some people are running 16 cores, and some even running 32 cores.
Sorry but everyone can beat a player who cannot see mate in 1 so the match of Fritz against kramnik is not convincing.

The match between kramnik and Fritz did not show the huge difference between top GM and computers and one match can never show it because it is possible that the relevant GM is weak against computers.

The only way to prove superiority of Fritz is if some sponsor give million dollars to the first human who beat Fritz in 6 game match(or half million dollar for human who draws) and all GM or refuse the challange or try and lose the match.

People who claim that it is possible that Fritz could win all games in case of using better hardware simply showing misunderstanding of chess.

Even Rybka on the best hardware does not claim to be able to beat humans 6-0 and they are not ready to normal chess with draw odds when the human win the match in case that he draws most games.

Uri
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Someone with access to playchess or ICC games can probably answer this now. Lookup the Rybkas running with quad or better hardware and see if there were any losses at longer time controls aginst any humans.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Leto wrote: Talking about the DF10 vs Kramnik match, did anyone notice that DF10 was only running on a laptop for that match...
(conclusions drawn from wrong facts snipped)
If you see a notebook on a photo from such events, as almost always nowadays, it doesn't mean that it's the only computer involved :idea: They are connected to the bigger machines. Against Kramnik in Bonn, Fritz was running on a quad core (2*Intel Core 2 Duo 5160 with 3 GHz).

Regards, Mike
Terry McCracken

Leto wrote:

Talk about believers... :wink: