upcoming events (more?)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IWB

Re: No Rybka and no Zappa ...

Post by IWB »

mclane wrote:
my best wishes to the polish computerchess people.

Lets wait who is really there at the end. (rock)

Bye
Ingo
Harvey Williamson

Re: upcoming events (more?)

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Mike S. wrote:July 5th-8th:
:arrow: Larry Kaufman's Rybka vs GM Jaan Ehlvest - the Rematch
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... d=794;pg=1

July 21st+22nd:
:arrow: 2007 World Computer Rapid Chess Championships
http://www.taccl.org/2007Presidents.html (ACCA)

August 14th-16th:
:arrow: 3. Livingston Chess960 Computer World Championship
http://chesstigers.de/ccm7/computer_wm. ... 6&subkat=1

Also already scheduled is the next CCT:

January 26th+27th, 2008:
:arrow: CCT 10
http://www.cctchess.info/

:?: If there are more 'big' events upcoming within the next few month, please add information.
http://www.csvn.nl/index.php?option=com ... &Itemid=28

The Dutch Open In leiden is the weekend of the 26th October.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

mclane wrote:cool. vincent there. glaurung plays too AND david levy as "special guest".

thats better than watching television.
It's also worth mentioning that there's a human vs computer match on Friday morning: GM Bartlomiej Macieja will play against Butcher, Diep, Glaurung and Matacz (Diep and Glaurung have taken the places of Rybka and Zappa, who unfortunately had to withdraw from the tournament at the last minute).

I wonder how the human vs computer match will be played, though. Macieja is supposed to play against all four programs Friday between 9:00 and 12:00. Will he give a simultaneous exhibition, or is he playing four successive rapid games with no breaks in between? In both cases, he has a tough program for Friday morning, and he demonstrates remarkable courage in accepting the challenge. :)

Of course it is a big disappointment that Rybka and Zappa won't be there, but I still look forward to meeting my Polish computer chess friends again. It will be a great pleasure to play in this tournament.

Tord
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

Hi Tord,
there is a good chance for Glaurung to win here now :lol: 8-)
Werner
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Werner wrote:Hi Tord,
Hello Werner,

Diep is of course the clear favorite, and WildCat, arguably the most overlooked and underestimated chess engine in the known universe, also has a good chance to win. There are also plenty of other engines which could suprise, including mine.

Fortunately, I am an amateur, which means that I can relax, have fun, and enjoy the show, without caring about how many points my own engine scores. :D

Tord
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Hello Werner,

Diep is of course the clear favorite, and WildCat, arguably the most overlooked and underestimated chess engine in the known universe, also has a good chance to win. There are also plenty of other engines which could suprise, including mine.

Fortunately, I am an amateur, which means that I can relax, have fun, and enjoy the show, without caring about how many points my own engine scores. :D

Tord
I see no reason to consider diep as the clear favourite.
In one tournament everything can happen but
I think that Glaurung has better chances than diep.

Glaurung is at similiar playing strength to Deep Sjeng(rating lists suggest that glaurung is even stronger) when
Deep Sjeng seems to be stronger than diep.

Deep Sjeng scored 6/11 in the world championship
when Diep scored only 4.5/11 in the same championship.

Uri
Tony

Post by Tony »

Uri Blass wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
Hello Werner,

Tord
I see no reason to bla bla ...

Uri
I wish you could see a reason not to reply to every post that has something positive about Diep.

Tony
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Tony wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
Hello Werner,

Tord
I see no reason to bla bla ...

Uri
I wish you could see a reason not to reply to every post that has something positive about Diep.

Tony
This reply is unecessaryly rude.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

mclane wrote:cool. vincent there. glaurung plays too AND david levy as "special guest".

thats better than watching television.

my best wishes to the polish computerchess people.

Is this your machine Thorsten?

I remember borrowing this model to play some games over 20 years ago.
It wasn't very strong,(it boasted a FIDE rating of 1675), a little high IMO, but it was amusing to play....in a lost position it always offered a draw :D
I also liked the LCD display, no need for pieces. But didn't care for keying in the moves, too slow for blitz.

Draw Ok? Regards,
Terry
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

this is one of the genius machines of david levy !
my friend alexander had one. i had the mephistoI or II.
but because we always played with the machines, i know the mark V very well. it was a cool machine. like a human beeing. and with many nice features. there was another cool machine before by david levy, the intelligent chess machine. wood. tape recorder. and you could connect it to the TV set.

unbelievable what levy realized with his machines.