Livingston Chess960 Computer World Championship 2007

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson

Re: Livingston Chess960 Computer World Championship 2007

Post by Harvey Williamson »

ernst wrote:
Peter Berger wrote:This tournament was clearly not announced to be a world championship tournament, but more like a side event, similar to the programmers' blitz event.
It clearly IS announced as such.

Livingston Chess960 Computer World Championship 14-16 August 2007
Hoi Ernst,

Yes its clearly announced as the WCCC of FRC 960 Chess.

See you in Leiden Regards,

Harvey

ps or maybe in Mainz!?
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

They had many participants in 2005 (19, winner Spike) and 2006 (20, winner Shredder). I am not sure, but I think those were open tournaments where engines/programmers could apply for. Hiarcs did not participate.

Two weeks ago, a computer chess fan posted an info about the 2007 tournament on the CSS message board. It seems that the Chess Tigers organizers do not care much to bring their infos to the typical computer chess sites, and/or fora.

Later, I found these messages on another message board:

http://f51.parsimony.net/forum204700/messages/130.htm

http://f51.parsimony.net/forum204700/messages/131.htm

The former Tiger's board member mentions financial constraints and that they invited only four programs, this year.

About Hiarcs being the Chess960 rating list leader at CCRL, I am not entirely sure that the Chess Tigers organizers even know that list. Basically, I would assume that they would have considered to of course invite Hiarcs. I guess they simply don't know that list.

("Chess960" doesn't appear on that CCRL 40/4 FRC page which may cause a problem if somebody searches for Chess960 but not for FRC.)

Maybe Hiarcs should challenge the Mainz winner for a longer match :mrgreen: like in the FIDE/Rybka affair.
Regards, Mike
Harvey Williamson

Mike S. wrote:They had many participants in 2005 (19, winner Spike) and 2006 (20, winner Shredder). I am not sure, but I think those were open tournaments where engines/programmers could apply for. Hiarcs did not participate.

Two weeks ago, a computer chess fan posted an info about the 2007 tournament on the CSS message board. It seems that the Chess Tigers organizers do not care much to bring their infos to the typical computer chess sites, and/or fora.

Later, I found these messages on another message board:

http://f51.parsimony.net/forum204700/messages/130.htm

http://f51.parsimony.net/forum204700/messages/131.htm

The former Tiger's board member mentions financial constraints and that they invited only four programs, this year.

About Hiarcs being the Chess960 rating list leader at CCRL, I am not entirely sure that the Chess Tigers organizers even know that list. Basically, I would assume that they would have considered to of course invite Hiarcs. I guess they simply don't know that list.

("Chess960" doesn't appear on that CCRL 40/4 FRC page which may cause a problem if somebody searches for Chess960 but not for FRC.)

Maybe Hiarcs should challenge the Mainz winner for a longer match :mrgreen: like in the FIDE/Rybka affair.
Hi Mike,

They are aware of the list. I have been told by the organisers that the sponsors dont want Hiarcs.

I have contacted the sponsors to ask if they said this. ( I doubt the sponsors have heard of any of the competitors)

Whatever they say a closed event can not be a WCCC.

Harvey
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Harvey Williamson wrote: I have been told by the organisers that the sponsors dont want Hiarcs.
Strange. I can only imagine that they simply don't want more participants than four, this time. I agree that it should be called differently, not World Championship, under these circumstances. A WCh tournament should either be open for registration for all, or have a reasonable qualification prior to it.
Regards, Mike
Titu

Post by Titu »

They have been calling the chess mainz Chess960 tournament for humans the "World Chess960 Championship". Past years they have just invited two players and let them compete for the championship. Levon Aronian is the current "World Chess960 Champion".

Mainz also run the "Rapid World Championship".

The organiser will probably not change their policy because of Hiarcs or for anyone.

/Titu
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

I was talking about the 2005 tournament. This was no championship.
Harvey Williamson

Ask the sponors!

Harvey Williamson wrote:http://www.chesstigers.de/ccm7/computer ... 6&subkat=1

How can this event be called a World Championship when only 4 engines are invited?

Surely it is just an invitational event?
Hi,

If you would like to ask the above question the sponsors can be contacted at

presse@livingston.de

If you want the email address of the event organiser, so you can ask him, PM me and I will let you have it.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
bedouin

Re: Ask the sponors!

Post by bedouin »

How was this issue resolved? It would be interesting to hear what the sponsor says.
Harvey Williamson

Re: Ask the sponors!

bedouin wrote:How was this issue resolved? It would be interesting to hear what the sponsor says.
Hi,

I have heard back from the sponsors and received a very nice email from them (Livingston) Here is an extract:

"I am very happy about your reaction which I can
fully understand. A championship should be open to everybody and the
best may win."

They also supplied me with the email address of someone else who is organising the event - He has not yet replied.

I doubt anything will change this year but at least the email I got from the organisers saying the sponsors do not want Hiarcs was a little misleading I think.

Best Wishes,

Harvey