Opening book for Glaurung 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marc Lacrosse

Re: Problem with ponder on in Chessbase GUIs

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

A similar problem happened with fruit in GUI 8 and 9 when fruit was launched in october 2005.
The problem was solved with chessbase GUI updates dated december 2005 (and all subsequent updates).

Marc
ebus

Thanks for your informations, Marc (n/t)

Post by ebus »

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Opening book for Glaurung 2

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Har wrote:
SalvoSpit wrote:Hi Tord,

THANKS to you for your great engine, that you generously offer to all us chess freaks for free!

Ciao :D ,
Salvo
Bravo Salvo,good job! :)
Regards,
Harry
Bravo Harry,
Did you test or even took a look at this opening book :?:
It's full of mistakes and it's even broken in general,so where did you get this "bravo"from :!: :?:

:shock:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Har

Post by Har »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Har wrote:

THANKS to you for your great engine, that you generously offer to all us chess freaks for free!

Salvo
Regards,
Harry
Bravo Harry,
It's full of mistakes and it's even broken in general,so where did you get this "bravo"from :!: :?:

Salvo provided some neutral good books.Now he tries an engine book,
therefore my "bravo".It is not easy,he will improve it.
Also Tord has trusts to Spitaleri.One should also encourage young
authors,not only lurk on criticism.
Ciao,
Harry
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Har wrote: One should also encourage young
Ciao,
Harry
Hi Harry

Sure Salvo has not the same level of experience as you have ...

... but he is far from being a newcomer (he has been in opening books for many years by now) and he seems to offer books for any new engine on the market :
last publicly appearing Fruit, last competing Scorpio, newest Glaurung ...

There are Spitaleri books for quite a dozen engines by now.

Finally it's becoming strangely similar to what Noomen did before he was appointed by Vas.

Just a difference : last time I could really evaluate a book by Salvo the quality was ...
...mediocre
(I have a little more than two thousand games to prove this)

And from what I read here the figure is not really improving ...

There are three deservedly reknown bookers on the market : Noomen, Günes and Necchi.

(By the way IMHO it's not that clear that Jeroen is the best among these three ones).

There are also known people who should not be praised that much in that job (Alterman, ...) .

There are also undeservedly unknown ones who are or were really very good at it : Peter Berger, ...

There are also terrific newcomers achieving real prowesses in book making for Playchess freestyle competitions....

But I still wait for Salvo achieving anything really convincing in this field.

Marc
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Did you test or even took a look at this opening book :?:
We all make mistakes from time to time, and in this case it is at least as much my fault as Salvo's. I shouldn't have published the book on my web site without testing it first. I've now removed the link from the site.

Making a good opening book is a difficult task, especially for an engine like Glaurung 2, which is very much a moving target. The playing style and the strengths and weaknesses of the current version probably have little in common with the final 2.0 version.

Tord
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Marc Lacrosse wrote:There are three deservedly reknown bookers on the market : Noomen, Günes and Necchi.
(snip)
There are also undeservedly unknown ones who are or were really very good at it : Peter Berger, ...
What? Undeservedly unknown??

In the world I live, you and Peter Berger are at least as famous and respected as Jeroen Noomen, Erdogan Günes and Sandro Necchi ..

Tord
Marc Lacrosse

Post by Marc Lacrosse »

Tord Romstad wrote:
What? Undeservedly unknown??

In the world I live, you and Peter Berger are at least as famous and respected as Jeroen Noomen, Erdogan Günes and Sandro Necchi ..

Tord
Hi Tord

Thanks for the kind words but Peter Berger (AFAIK) and myself as bookers are things of the past and so we will soon be covered by the dust of time ...
... if ithis is not yet done.

Marc
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Har wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Har wrote:

Salvo
Regards,
Harry
Bravo Harry,

Salvo provided some neutral good books.Now he tries an engine book,
therefore my "bravo".It is not easy,he will improve it.
Also Tord has trusts to Spitaleri.One should also encourage young
Ciao,
Harry
True Harry,I am not saying anything bad that much,it's just that the second update is also broken :?
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Did you test or even took a look at this opening book :?:
We all make mistakes from time to time, and in this case it is at least as much my fault as Salvo's. I shouldn't have published the book on my web site without testing it first. I've now removed the link from the site.

Making a good opening book is a difficult task, especially for an engine like Glaurung 2, which is very much a moving target. The playing style and the strengths and weaknesses of the current version probably have little in common with the final 2.0 version.

Tord
Ok Tord,thanks for the reply,if I have much free time,I could make an opening book for this awesome engine,but.... :?