Winboard and chess engines

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kwlakey

Winboard and chess engines

Post by kwlakey »

Howdy!

I installed Winboard 4.2.7. When I go to Start->Winboard 4.2.7->Chess Engines I see Crafty 19.3. But I don't understand how to get the other engines to work with Winboard. I extracted an engine called vicki0_031a. I put the executable file in the Winboard 4.2.7 program folder. But I dont see where I go to play against vicki.

Is there some magical trick I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

kerry

-----------------------------

Life takes it's toll. Please have exact change.
George Tsavdaris

Re: Winboard and chess engines

Post by George Tsavdaris »

kwlakey wrote:Howdy!

I installed Winboard 4.2.7. When I go to Start->Winboard 4.2.7->Chess Engines I see Crafty 19.3. But I don't understand how to get the other engines to work with Winboard. I extracted an engine called vicki0_031a. I put the executable file in the Winboard 4.2.7 program folder. But I dont see where I go to play against vicki.

Is there some magical trick I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.
In the folder where Winboard.EXE is there is a file called Winboard.ini.
If there isn't such a file run winboard once, and it will be automatically created.

There you should put the appropriate commands for running the Chess program you want. Make sure the program supports Winboard protocol of course....

See for more here:
http://horizonchess.com/FAQ/Winboard/Winboard2.html#[B.2]

Probably in your case just writing a simple vicki0_031a, as it is the name of the executable(if the name of the executable is Vicki07 you should obviously put Vicky07), after the:

/firstChessProgramNames={
"GNUChes5 xboard"

then it should work fine.

For example if you have:

/firstChessProgramNames={GNUChess
"GNUChes5 xboard"
Vicki
that should work fine....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....