Legacy download site (D Corbitt site down)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bedouin

Legacy download site (D Corbitt site down)

Post by bedouin »

Is there a legacy download site like D Corbitt's site that is quoted all over the web but has disappeared? A place to download the book.pgn, tbgen.zip or even epd test suites?

Any help appreciated.
Dann Corbit

Re: Legacy download site (D Corbitt site down)

Post by Dann Corbit »

bedouin wrote:Is there a legacy download site like D Corbitt's site that is quoted all over the web but has disappeared? A place to download the book.pgn, tbgen.zip or even epd test suites?

Any help appreciated.
That machine (dannfast.corporate.connx.com) is completely fried.

I have resurrected most of the data on DVD, but I do not have a new site for it yet. Very soon we are getting new machines with 64 bit Windows installed on all of them. Probably, at that time I will be able to use my current machine as a web server. Until then I do not have a place to host it.
bedouin

Post by bedouin »

64 bit windows? I thought that unix is good for servers particularly if your last windows one was fried? Some guy discusses unix vs windows here
bedouin

Post by bedouin »

Does anyone know where Aaron Tay hosts his chess site(s)? Google links to articles that go to dead links.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Aaron Tay's Winboard FAQ is now at http://horizonchess.com/FAQ/Winboard/article.html

Tony
bedouin

Post by bedouin »

tmokonen wrote:Aaron Tay's Winboard FAQ is now at http://horizonchess.com/FAQ/Winboard/article.html

Tony
Yeah thanks for the link.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

bedouin wrote:64 bit windows? I thought that unix is good for servers particularly if your last windows one was fried? Some guy discusses unix vs windows here
This machine is for commercial development. I am allowed to run a FTP or HTTP server in the background by my employer. More than 70% of the database clients for our customers are Windows machines. I have UNIX boxes also, but the machines I can install a web server on are those at my desk.

Personally, if I was going to support lots of users with a server I think Linux makes more sense than windows. But that is neither here nor there. In addition, I do not choose the OS for development. It is mandated.