Strelka- Pretty Damn Good Evidence!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Strelka- Pretty Damn Good Evidence!!

Post by geots »

Look, i would be the last one to know. But the one who is in a position to know best is Vas himself. Simply because he is the only one that has access to all Rybkas inner workings. And he is laughing about the whole thing. Believe me, if Strelka is a clone- Vas would be in a position to know. And he doesnt seem the least bit concerned, so why should i be? But if people want to keep dogging this issue, in the words of Vas to the Strelka programmer "knock yourself out!"

Regards,
Bryan Hofmann

Re: Strelka- Pretty Damn Good Evidence!!

Post by Bryan Hofmann »

geots wrote:Look, i would be the last one to know. But the one who is in a position to know best is Vas himself. Simply because he is the only one that has access to all Rybkas inner workings. And he is laughing about the whole thing. Believe me, if Strelka is a clone- Vas would be in a position to know. And he doesnt seem the least bit concerned, so why should i be? But if people want to keep dogging this issue, in the words of Vas to the Strelka programmer "knock yourself out!"

Regards,
If you are going to quote him quote the whole statement not a fragment. Please take note of his first sentence!

"Ok, obviously, the author deliberately did some things that will make us think that this is a Rybka clone.

I have no idea how it was done or why - maybe as a joke?! I don't know if it's legal, or even in fact what should be legal. And in fact I don't really care - this Rybka 1.0 is ancient. If somebody wants to have some fun with this version, knock yourself out

Vas"

Bryan
gerold

Post by gerold »

Bryan Hofmann wrote:
geots wrote:Look, i would be the last one to know. But the one who is in a position to know best is Vas himself. Simply because he is the only one that has access to all Rybkas inner workings. And he is laughing about the whole thing. Believe me, if Strelka is a clone- Vas would be in a position to know. And he doesnt seem the least bit concerned, so why should i be? But if people want to keep dogging this issue, in the words of Vas to the Strelka programmer "knock yourself out!"

Regards,
If you are going to quote him quote the whole statement not a fragment. Please take note of his first sentence!

"Ok, obviously, the author deliberately did some things that will make us think that this is a Rybka clone.

I have no idea how it was done or why - maybe as a joke?! I don't know if it's legal, or even in fact what should be legal. And in fact I don't really care - this Rybka 1.0 is ancient. If somebody wants to have some fun with this version, knock yourself out

Vas"

Bryan
I read that over in the other forum yesterday. Interesting. :)
geots

Post by geots »

I was just making a broad point that Vas doesnt seem to be worried. And i did read his whole thread. But quoting the whole thing did not seem relevant to my point. I admit it has been an interesting back and forth about the issue between everyone, however. And pretty civil as CCC goes. BTW, im no programmer, so i am confused as to how you could conclude that it is or is not a clone when you dont have Rybkas source code to compare it to. Without that, i dont see how anything conclusive could be arrived at. And Vas is in theory the only one with it. But what do i know.

The Best,
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

I don't know why Vas is laughing about it. Perhaps that's just for public consumption. But if it is a clone (I'm neutral on this), then there would have had to have been a breach in security. Vas should be concerned about that possibility to avoid a replication. He probably is.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Norm Pollock wrote:I don't know why Vas is laughing about it. Perhaps that's just for public consumption. But if it is a clone (I'm neutral on this), then there would have had to have been a breach in security. Vas should be concerned about that possibility to avoid a replication. He probably is.
I am sure he is concerned.
geots

Post by geots »

gerold wrote:
Norm Pollock wrote:I don't know why Vas is laughing about it. Perhaps that's just for public consumption. But if it is a clone (I'm neutral on this), then there would have had to have been a breach in security. Vas should be concerned about that possibility to avoid a replication. He probably is.
I am sure he is concerned.
One thing for sure- no matter which side of the fence you are on, its a very interesting issue. IF and thats IF- it were an illegal clone, i stand to lose more than many- as im consuming a great amount of time running a Strelka Gauntlet. So naturally i have to assume it is NOT a clone. I dont have the expertise to do anything but read as much as possible and I assume it is NOT a clone. Again, just an assumption. The best i can do.
But i still dont see how Hoffman or anyone can make any assumption about it and Rybka without having Rybkas source code. No one has yet explained that to me.

Regards