DGT XL Clock - Can it be made to beep?!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Wardy

DGT XL Clock - Can it be made to beep?!

Post by Wardy »

Hi All,

If I can explain what I'm trying to do.........

I want to have my DGT board and XL clock in the living room connected via a really long USB cable to the PC in the study so that I'm away from the whirring of lots of fans :D

According to the manual and the DGT driver it should be possible to get the clock to beep on a move announcement ( the clock will then display the move to be made also). Showing the move to be made works but I cannot get it to beep at all :cry:

I don't want to have to keep breaking off my thoughts to check the clock for a computer move and I'm fairly sure the Missus doesn't want Fritz booming his moves out throughout the house by cranking the volume up on the PC!

Has anyone got the beep to work? I've tried DGT technical support in the past for a couple of issues and never got a reply so unless you guys know I guess I'm stuck!

Thanks

Paul
Tord Romstad

Re: DGT XL Clock - Can it be made to beep?!

Post by Tord Romstad »

Wardy wrote:I've tried DGT technical support in the past for a couple of issues and never got a reply so unless you guys know I guess I'm stuck!
Has anyone ever managed to get a reply from the DGT technical support? I wrote them an e-mail a couple of months ago asking a few simple questions about how to add DGT support to my GUI, but never got a reply, even though I wrote that I would probably buy a DGT board and clock if they could help me to get it to work.

Clearly they don't want me as a customer, so I won't buy any of their products.

Tord
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Wardy wrote:Hi All,

I want to have my DGT board and XL clock in the living room connected via a really long USB cable to the PC in the study so that I'm away from the whirring of lots of fans :D

According to the manual and the DGT driver it should be possible to get the clock to beep on a move announcement ( the clock will then display the move to be made also). Showing the move to be made works but I cannot get it to beep at all :cry:

I don't want to have to keep breaking off my thoughts to check the clock for a computer move and I'm fairly sure the Missus doesn't want Fritz booming his moves out throughout the house by cranking the volume up on the PC!

Has anyone got the beep to work? I've tried DGT technical support in the past for a couple of issues and never got a reply so unless you guys know I guess I'm stuck!

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Its 6am and I am getting ready to go to work, I won't have time to test this myself until I return home this evening. However you should be able to hold down the sound (-) button for 3 seconds to turn sound on and off. I am just not sure if this feature will work in internet mode (23). I hope this imformation help you.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by AdminX »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Wardy wrote:I've tried DGT technical support in the past for a couple of issues and never got a reply so unless you guys know I guess I'm stuck!
Has anyone ever managed to get a reply from the DGT technical support? I wrote them an e-mail a couple of months ago asking a few simple questions about how to add DGT support to my GUI, but never got a reply, even though I wrote that I would probably buy a DGT board and clock if they could help me to get it to work.

Tord
Hi Tord,

I know this is not much help, but have you tried to contact the folks working on the Arena Project. I know they have DGT support working in there product, maybe they can tell you how they did it. Just a thought ...

Post by Tord Romstad »

AdminX wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:

Tord
Hi Tord,

I know this is not much help, but have you tried to contact the folks working on the Arena Project. I know they have DGT support working in there product, maybe they can tell you how they did it. Just a thought ...
Hello Ted,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Because my program runs on the Mac and Arena is a Windows programs, I don't think the Arena guys can help me. This project could perhaps give me what I need, but I am not willing to pay for a DGT board unless I know that I can make it work. Besides, when the DGT team clearly doesn't want my money, why should I pay them?

Tord
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

AdminX wrote:

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Its 6am and I am getting ready to go to work, I won't have time to test this myself until I return home this evening. However you should be able to hold down the sound (-) button for 3 seconds to turn sound on and off. I am just not sure if this feature will work in internet mode (23). I hope this imformation help you.
Thanks Ted, I have tried the sound button in mode 23 but certainly on my model this didn't help! Would you mind trying yours and letting me know how you get on?

Many thanks

Paul
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Wardy wrote:
AdminX wrote:

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks Ted, I have tried the sound button in mode 23 but certainly on my model this didn't help! Would you mind trying yours and letting me know how you get on?

Many thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Just got in and tested DGT XL clock sound setting. Sound did work in all modes, but more to the point sound worked in mode 23. My setup was:

DGT Board (USB)
DGT XL Clock
attached to computer using Fritz 10 GUI

PS: The Model of my clock is DGT XL (Version 1.12)

Post by Wardy »

Thanks for testing this Ted.

My set up is exactly the same as yours but my clock is v1.14.

If I put my ear against the case I can just make out a strangled double beep I think?

Regardless it appears my unit is defunct :(
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

OK calling all electronics experts!!!

I've dismantled my XL clock :shock: guessing from the slight squeak out of it either the input is too low or the buzzer itself is faulty. I'm favouring the latter as the place to start........

The sounder appears to be similar to the following RS components item, stock number 231-2973 but looking at the specs of this part the input voltage appears high? It's been a while since I did anything electrical so please excuse me!

Any other suggestions for a replacement part? The sounder is about the size of a 10p piece and rather flat?

Any help appreciated!!

Paul
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Hey Paul,

I know this may be a little off topic, but I thought this may also be of interest to you. I use a set of Bluetooth headsets when playing. Motorola Talk and Tunes. I under stand that you can buy the headset now for about $35.00 (U.S.) if you already have a bluetooth adapter. Should work if you are not more than 20 - 30 feet away (PAN). See link:

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/produc ... jectId=149