Please recommend an adventurous UCI engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AGove

Please recommend an adventurous UCI engine

Post by AGove »

I'm looking for an up-to-date, adventurous UCI engine, one that compared to most other engines is a risk-taker, heads for unbalanced positions, and so on. I want to use it for analysis (within CB9); I'm not interested in playing games with it. In a way, I'd like it to come up with !? and ?! moves almost as often as ! moves. I suppose Glaurung will be suggested, but it seems to be between versions at the moment and being rewritten. What about others?
Karmazen & Oliver

Re: Please recommend an adventurous UCI engine

Post by Karmazen & Oliver »

AGove wrote:I'm looking for an up-to-date, adventurous UCI engine, one that compared to most other engines is a risk-taker, heads for unbalanced positions, and so on. I want to use it for analysis (within CB9); I'm not interested in playing games with it. In a way, I'd like it to come up with !? and ?! moves almost as often as ! moves. I suppose Glaurung will be suggested, but it seems to be between versions at the moment and being rewritten. What about others?
I recommend you Chess TIGER 2007.1.

I like a lot his evaluation, HIS analysys, and HIS GAMES... maybe need time for good evaluation... but the last improvements are good news.

bye, since spain.
bedouin

Post by bedouin »

I would recommend Spike/Toga or Crafty. Crafty had some good analysis in the forum in an ending the other day but I suppose most of these engines are 2500+
swami

Post by swami »

bedouin wrote:Crafty had some good analysis in the forum in an ending the other day but I suppose most of these engines are 2500+
Seems you haven't read the question properly,the question is even in thread title,Crafty is not a UCI engine and you can only use it as wb to uci which is not even needed in chessbase as there is Crafty chessbase native.
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

For free, I'd strongly suggest Pro Deo. Wonderful engine, can produce really interesting chess and find attractive/adventurous moves. Knows a lot about chess so it's particularly useful for analysis of human games, Imho.

Other then that you'll find many amateur engines throughout the ratinglists that can produce very interesting chess.

You'd want to steer well clear of the latest crop of Fruit-like-derivatives. They tend to win by arranging their pieces so that it forms hidden messages about sleeping, and you can't resist.

Stan

AGove wrote:I'm looking for an up-to-date, adventurous UCI engine, one that compared to most other engines is a risk-taker, heads for unbalanced positions, and so on.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Stan Arts wrote: You'd want to steer well clear of the latest crop of Fruit-like-derivatives. They tend to win by arranging their pieces so that it forms hidden messages about sleeping, and you can't resist.
:D :D :D LOL!
That was nice.... :lol:

Honestly Rybka plays incredible attacking moves from time to time.

The above from Leiden international tournament:
14...Ng4! and 15...f5!! 16...Rf7! were amazing moves!

[Event "NK Open"]
[Site "Leiden"]
[Date "2006.11.05"]
[Round "9"]
[White "The King"]
[Black "Rybka 2.2"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "A29"]
[Annotator "Thstorm"]
[PlyCount "62"]
[EventDate "2006.??.??"]

1. c4 Nf6 2. Nc3 e5 3. Nf3 Nc6 4. g3 Bc5 5. Bg2 d6 6. O-O O-O 7. d3 h6 8. a3 a6
9. b4 Ba7 10. e3 Be6 11. Bb2 Qd7 12. Qc2 Bh3 13. Bxh3 Qxh3 14. Nd5 Ng4 15. Nxc7
f5 16. Nd5 Rf7 17. b5 Ne7 18. b6 Nxd5 19. bxa7 Nc7 20. Rfd1 Ne6 21. Rd2 f4 22.
exf4 Ng5 23. Qd1 exf4 24. Bd4 fxg3 25. fxg3 Nxf3+ 26. Qxf3 Rxf3 27. Rg2 Raf8
28. Kh1 Rxg3 29. Rag1 Qh4 30. a8=Q Rxa8 31. Re2 Rxd3 0-1
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
AGove

Post by AGove »

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll experiment with Pro Deo 1.5, and the old Gambit Tiger (although it's ChessBase native not UCI).

I'm just grateful no one mentioned Strelka.
AGove

Chess Tiger 2007

Post by AGove »

I was wondering whether Chess Tiger 2007 also has a Gambit version that is UCI and has updated patches as necessary (which Chess Tiger 2007 needed). Unfortunately I can't ask Lokasoft http://www.lokasoft.nl/ as their offices are closed until 6th August.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Chess Tiger 2007

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AGove wrote:I was wondering whether Chess Tiger 2007 also has a Gambit version that is UCI and has updated patches as necessary (which Chess Tiger 2007 needed). Unfortunately I can't ask Lokasoft http://www.lokasoft.nl/ as their offices are closed until 6th August.
The gambit style is included in the Chess Tiger 2007 engine,you have to open the uci settings window and choose the gambit style....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
bedouin

Re: Chess Tiger 2007

Post by bedouin »

I had fun not long ago with a version of crafty and a makefile I downloaded from the web. There were errors in compiling but the resulting crafty.exe would beat the regular 20.14 in games but give strange analysis. I suppose if you knew what you were doing you could do this with Toga and create a personality of sorts.