In as few words as possible

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: In as few words as possible

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:We are going in circles here. If I never saw another chess program other than Fruit and I wanted to write a chess program, so I used Fruit as a guide then my program is derived from Fruit. If anyone asked me, 'where did you derive the knowledge from to write your own program', then I would have to answear that I derived it from Fruit. Therefore Rybka is a derivitive of Fruit. However, the GPL does not apply, because, there is nothing original in Fruit and I can quote the author himself as saying that there is nothing original.

So, in the case of Fruit at least the GPL may not be valid under the law.
If this were true, then anyone who had read the source of Fruit (or any other GPL program) and writes a program that uses something he has learned is writing a GPL program. And if that is true, then GPL is viral in a horrible way beyond any imagining.

It is like saying, "If you have read my book and later write your book on the same subject, then your book also belongs to me."
Yes, that is what it implies! But, only pertaining to original never before known content.

alpha-beta, null move, history huristic, hash tables, common move ordering, PVS, IID, futility, etc. None of these things are licenseable as they are not original, but rather derived from someone elses work that has been freely submitted to the public.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

Michael Sherwin wrote:So the type of derivation matters! But, then again the law is always open to reinterpretation! At the next court case the definition of derivation as applies to the GPL can change!
That is certainly possible. In my mind law is:
x) written law +
y) court/judge interpretation +
z) a random factor.

Still if you shot someone and your best justification is "I was cleaning the gun and..." I don't think you can expect much even by reinterpretations and/or random factors. Unless you're rich enough, of course.
Michael Sherwin

:lol:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:We are going in circles here. If I never saw another chess program other than Fruit and I wanted to write a chess program, so I used Fruit as a guide then my program is derived from Fruit. If anyone asked me, 'where did you derive the knowledge from to write your own program', then I would have to answear that I derived it from Fruit. Therefore Rybka is a derivitive of Fruit. However, the GPL does not apply, because, there is nothing original in Fruit and I can quote the author himself as saying that there is nothing original.

If this were true, then anyone who had read the source of Fruit (or any other GPL program) and writes a program that uses something he has learned is writing a GPL program. And if that is true, then GPL is viral in a horrible way beyond any imagining.

It is like saying, "If you have read my book and later write your book on the same subject, then your book also belongs to me."
Yes, that is what it implies! But, only pertaining to original never before known content.

alpha-beta, null move, history huristic, hash tables, common move ordering, PVS, IID, futility, etc. None of these things are licenseable as they are not original, but rather derived from someone elses work that has been freely submitted to the public.
However, this does not imply that you do not own copyright to your program derived from known ideas. In the same way, a poem or song is written using known words, patterns, etc. However it belongs to the author in its implementation.

But having written a song about a bluebird's beautiful color, I do not own the rights to all songs about the color of a bluebird even though the content will be approximately the same
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

Dann Corbit wrote:It is like saying, "If you have read my book and later write your book on the same subject, then your book also belongs to me."
This will have to be decided on a per-book basis and IIRC has been tried in court several times. Apparently, it's worth a shot when there's enough money to be gained.

One famous case I remember:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 382824.stm
Michael Sherwin

Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

However, this does not imply that you do not own copyright to your program derived from known ideas. In the same way, a poem or song is written using known words, patterns, etc. However it belongs to the author in its implementation.

But having written a song about a bluebird's beautiful color, I do not own the rights to all songs about the color of a bluebird even though the content will be approximately the same
That is why I made the claim that Fruit is protected under copyright law, but not under any contract aspect of the GPL.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

That is why I made the claim that Fruit is protected under copyright law, but not under any contract aspect of the GPL.
But GPL *IS* a form of copyright.
Michael Sherwin

Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

It is also an agreed to contract!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Alessandro Scotti wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:So the type of derivation matters! But, then again the law is always open to reinterpretation! At the next court case the definition of derivation as applies to the GPL can change!
That is certainly possible. In my mind law is:
x) written law +
y) court/judge interpretation +
z) a random factor.

Still if you shot someone and your best justification is "I was cleaning the gun and..." I don't think you can expect much even by reinterpretations and/or random factors. Unless you're rich enough, of course.
We should ask Spider Sabich what he thinks about it.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:

It is also an agreed to contract!
No it isn't:
http://lwn.net/Articles/61292/