Pocket Fritz 3 in Argentina Tournament

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mephisto

Pocket Fritz 3 in Argentina Tournament

Post by mephisto »

Pocket Fritz 3 has started well in it's first public appearance playing in a strong tournament in Argentina.
In round 1 it beat GM Panno (ELO 2457) and in round 2 it drew with with GM Slipak (ELO 2435)
Details can be found here
http://www.ajedrezmartelli.org.ar/magis ... rcosur.htm
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Patatov

Re: Pocket Fritz 3 in Argentina Tournament

Post by Patatov »

That's interesting... I didn't know a Pocket Fritz 3 was on the plate.
I'm wondering what is the Pocket PC hardware... There's no news on the tournament website.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thats great where can I buy PocketFritz 3.Good on ChessBase for continuing the PPC versions.
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

PF3 has 2.5/3 now.

I guess it's PF2 with the latest version of Shredder. If I remember rightly the last one was Shredder 7 in 2002!?

This must be the future of Computer Chess against humans - the PPC at least gives us a chance. But when will a mobile phone beat the world champion?? :lol:

Perhaps Rybka for PPC (when it comes out) could play a match against a top 10 GM (if they're not too embarassed!) :P :shock: :!:
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

James
I have just heard that the new version doesn't now contain the Shredder engine but as of yet, I don't know what ChessBase are using.
Bryan
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Photos of Pocket Fritz 3 playing in the tournament here
http://www.ajedrezmartelli.org.ar/magis ... /fotos.htm
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

The Pocket PC looks like an iPaq 2790,the one with a really fast 624Mhz processor.ChessBase may have it overclocked for this tournament.This is probably a beta version as I can't find any information on ChessBase website.
All I can say is that I will be one of the first to buy it when it is available.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Alex
It's definitely a HP and ChessBase have ignored my information requests but Stefan Meyer-Kahlen has advised me that they are not using the Shredder engine so I suppose that it must be one of Franz Morsch Fritz engines.
Stefan also advised and I hope he doesn't mind me saying this in public, that a Pocket Shredder will be available from his site later in the year which is really good news.
Also, I have been asked to beta test the new Pocket Rybka but the hold up appears to be that Vas hasn't quite yet finished converting the code to Windows mobile.
Regards
Bryan
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks Bryan,I too have been in contact with SMK about Shredder for PPC and he said it was on his to do list.It may even have 4 or 5 pieces endgame databases given the size of SD cards and Compactflash the storage should not be a problem.But I can only guess what will be on the plate.Good to see that you can shed more light on Rybka as I read the Rybka forum to see the lastest news for PPC and all I can say is that Vas is very vague on progress and dates in this regard.
Either way it looks like I will be spoilt for choice by the end of the year.
Have you heard of any news regarding Hiarcs making its way to the PPC without the ugly StyleTap emulator.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Alex
Although Mark Uniacke did ask me about a year ago for another piece set for the next Palm upgrade I have no details when it will eventually be released or if it is to be ported to the Pocket PC.
I think that there is a member of this forum who does a bit of beta testing for him so it might be worth trying to track him down and asking him if they've heard anything.
Sorry, I can't remember the persons name.
Bryan