Strelka in Tournaments?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Would You Test Strelka in your Engine Tournaments?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:56 pm

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 57

Christopher Conkie

Re: Strelka in Tournaments?

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Graham Banks wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: Do you think Strelka is a clone Graham? Don't you believe the guy who made it when he told you it was one?

Be serious.
Show me a reliable translation of the Russian message where the Strelka author admits beyond all doubt that he has illegally cloned his engine.

Graham.
http://kasparovchess.crestbook.com/view ... =1869&p=17

Message #844...Point One....

Show me where the GNU license is distributed with Strelka.

And the source code.....? Where's that? And that's just for starters. we have not even got to the Rybka stuff yet.
Chris - I can't read Russian. What I'd like to see is a reliable accurate translation that proves that Strelka is an illegally cloned engine.

Regards, Graham.
The word Fruit is readable but since it's you...here is message 844 point one in English.....

1. The basis of the program started with the sourcecode of Fruit a little less than two years ago.

It's that simple Graham. and we still have not got to the Rybka stuff.

Also remember than when first released he had been working on it for 20 years.

Do try to keep up.......

:wink:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Graham Banks wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote: Do you think Strelka is a clone Graham? Don't you believe the guy who made it when he told you it was one?

Be serious.
Show me a reliable translation of the Russian message where the Strelka author admits beyond all doubt that he has illegally cloned his engine.

Graham.
http://kasparovchess.crestbook.com/view ... =1869&p=17

Message #844...Point One....

Show me where the GNU license is distributed with Strelka.

And the source code.....? Where's that? And that's just for starters. we have not even got to the Rybka stuff yet.
Chris - I can't read Russian. What I'd like to see is a reliable accurate translation that proves that Strelka is an illegally cloned engine.

Regards, Graham.
The word Fruit is readable but since it's you...here is message 844 point one in English.....

1. The basis of the program started with the sourcecode of Fruit a little less than two years ago.

It's that simple Graham. and we still have not got to the Rybka stuff.

Do try to keep up.......

:wink:
Read Kirill's views which I edited into my previous post at the bottom of Page 1 of this thread.

Also have a read through this thread which you may have missed:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Graham.
swami

Post by swami »

The fact is Graham that this was an "I want this to win so then it's not a clone" poll.

Popularity does not make a clone suddenly turn into something original.
How can this be the poll where i wanted the strelka to win so I could make it a non clone, what kind of an argument that is?

If I really wanted Strelka to win, then I would have put "Yes" and "sometimes" as the option. How could I make it win?It depends on how many have voted.

When your old messages in this thread were deleted and this thread was left alone, I told you that even experts Michael and Hristo, have been telling us that Strelka's licence with GPL has been resolved and it was perfectly legal, where were you around that time, you were silent it seems, you couldn't challenge the experts?

Whatever, I needed to know how many people test it, what's wrong with that, you may not like it but this is the general question to ask.

If the poll results turn out that majority of members don't test it, then I would exclude Strelka from my tests till then it is legal engine according to experts like michael and Hristo, not according to me.Go and talk to them.

Regards.
swami

Post by swami »

Maybe he had a weaker version without winboard support and not an additional code and he rewrote everything after studying the fruit code, lies or no lies, you can't disassemble the rybka fully,I don't know anything about disassembling but I've heard what had been said here, and Dann once saw the code and said that it was completely different and not like Fruit at all.
James Constance

Post by James Constance »

I wouldn't bother testing it if you've already tested Rybka 1.0 beta. :wink:
gerold

Post by gerold »

James Constance wrote:I wouldn't bother testing it if you've already tested Rybka 1.0 beta. :wink:
You got that right :) :)
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

gerold wrote:
James Constance wrote:I wouldn't bother testing it if you've already tested Rybka 1.0 beta. :wink:
You got that right :) :)
He got what right? :wink:
GenoM

Post by GenoM »

My point of view is that Strelka and Rybka beta have so different styles so my answer is YES.
Looking at http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/c ... es+only%29
I can't see Strelka in the list of most similar pairs.
So...

My innocent till proven guilty regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
ozziejoe

Post by ozziejoe »

I am not sure what you have been watching to suggest they have a "very different style. I don't think i've ever seen two such similar engines.

Here is what kiril said in a quote in this thread

"Our "ponder hit" stats show that Strelka plays nearly identical to Rybka 1.0."

I do not know if he was hypothesesizing or had data (though this sounds like he had data). I hope ccrl publishes the ponder hit stats soon, so we can see if strelka is indeed nearly identical ( i could not get such stats to appear on ccrl page, so I assume they are not available yet.)

best
Joseph
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

ozziejoe wrote:I am not sure what you have been watching to suggest they have a "very different style. I don't think i've ever seen two such similar engines.

Here is what kiril said in a quote in this thread

"Our "ponder hit" stats show that Strelka plays nearly identical to Rybka 1.0."

I do not know if he was hypothesesizing or had data (though this sounds like he had data). I hope ccrl publishes the ponder hit stats soon, so we can see if strelka is indeed nearly identical ( i could not get such stats to appear on ccrl page, so I assume they are not available yet.)

best
Joseph
Hi Geno, Joseph,

The ponder hit data I was referring to is blitz data, it is available on CCRL 40/4 blitz web-site here. I will post summary of the relevant ponder hit results later today.

Best,
Kirill