Magnus Carlsen .... the new Kasparov ???

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Martin Thoresen

Re: Magnus The Magnificent Carlson!!

Post by Martin Thoresen »

Derek Jones,

It would be nice if you could spell his name correctly. It's Carlsen, not Carlson.
dj

Re: Magnus The Magnificent Carlsen

Post by dj »

Martin T wrote:Derek Jones,

It would be nice if you could spell his name correctly. It's Carlsen, not Carlson.
Apologies, Martin :!: In my post I was replying to O. Hall and I started by quoting his post:
bigo wrote:
I think it is said that once in a century a chess genius is born of the magnitude of fischer, capablanca, and Kasparov. I think Carlson easily adds to this list.

Without thinking I simply used the spelling in bigo's post when replying to him. It was very careless, and I used his spelling without thinking about it. Silly! Apologies once again.
Derek :cry: :oops:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

dj wrote:
Martin T wrote:Derek Jones,

Apologies, Martin :!: In my post I was replying to O. Hall and I started by quoting his post:
bigo wrote:
I think it is said that once in a century a chess genius is born of the magnitude of fischer, capablanca, and Kasparov. I think Carlson easily adds to this list.

Without thinking I simply used the spelling in bigo's post when replying to him. It was very careless, and I used his spelling without thinking about it. Silly! Apologies once again.
Derek :cry: :oops:
I admire people that can appologize,I realy do 8-)
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Martin Thoresen

Derek,

No worries. As I'm Norwegian, I dislike it when people makes Carlsen sound Swedish i.e spelling his name Carlson. :)

Believe me, you're not the first person I've come across that makes his name sound Swedish. I'm a member of chessgames.com, and over there we have plenty of people either thinking or wishing that Carlsen is Swedish. ;)
Patatov

Post by Patatov »

Carlsen just got a draw in the first round of the Artic Challenge Open against a 2000 elo player

[Event "Arctic Chess Challenge"]
[Site "Tromsø"]
[Date "2007.08.04"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Hagen, Brede"]
[Black "Carlsen, Magnus"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B91"]
[WhiteElo "2034"]
[BlackElo "2710"]
[PlyCount "72"]
[EventDate "2007.08.04"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. g3 e5 7. Nde2 Be7 8. Bg2 Nbd7 9. O-O b5 10. h3 Bb7 11. g4 b4 12. Nd5 Nxd5 13. exd5 O-O 14. Ng3 Re8 15.a3 a5 16. Be3 Qc7 17. Qd2 Nb6 18. b3 Bf8 19. Rfd1 bxa3 20. Rxa3 a4 21. Qb4 Qxc2 22. Rc1 Qb2 23. Rca1 Bxd5 24. Qxb6 Rab8 25. Qxb8 Rxb8 26. Bxd5 axb3 27. Ra7 Qc2 28. Rc1 Qg6 29. Bxf7+ Qxf7 30. Rxf7 Kxf7 31. Rb1 b2 32. Bd2 d5 33. Bc3 Rc8 34. Bxb2 Rb8 35. Rd1 Rxb2 36. Rxd5 Ke6 1/2-1/2
dj

Post by dj »

Martin T wrote:Derek,

No worries. As I'm Norwegian, I dislike it when people makes Carlsen sound Swedish i.e spelling his name Carlson. :)

Believe me, you're not the first person I've come across that makes his name sound Swedish. I'm a member of chessgames.com, and over there we have plenty of people either thinking or wishing that Carlsen is Swedish. ;)
Thanks Martin,

I understand your irritation. What is particularly absurd about the situation is that when I read your sentence I thought not that you were wrong, but that you had accused me of doing something I had not done.

You wrote:
I read your words, knew it was "Carlsen" and thought you were wrongly accusing me of writing "Carlson". Hence I thought you must have read it in someone else's post. Hence my sentence
Peruse my post rather more carefully than you appear to have done when you wrote the above.
In other words I was not challenging your spelling "Carlsen" but your statement that I had not written it. I thought you were wrongly accusing me of writing Carlson instead of Carlson.
Assuming I must have written the correct "Carlsen" I went into automatic mode (obviously semi-sleep in this case) and underlined the "o" in each Carlson without any thought and inverted the words I had intended. Subconsciously I must have assumed I had written Carlsen correctly in the first place. It shows that one should peruse one's own posts before hitting the submit button.

dj
:)

Btw I still do not think Carlsen is a new Kasparov, though I do believe he will become a WC.
Martin Thoresen

Derek,

Don't worry about it. It's already forgotten about, and it wasn't a big deal to begin with. I understood early that you somehow misunderstood me. :)
Graham Banks

Just tidied up the thread a little.

Post by Graham Banks »

Hope none of you take umbrage at my tidying up the thread to get rid of some of the unnecessary remarks.

Regards, Graham.
dj

Re: Just tidied up the thread a little.

Post by dj »

Graham Banks wrote:Hope none of you take umbrage at my tidying up the thread to get rid of some of the unnecessary remarks.

Regards, Graham.
Excellent proactive moderation.
:)
swami

Re: Just tidied up the thread a little.

Post by swami »

Graham Banks wrote:Hope none of you take umbrage at my tidying up the thread to get rid of some of the unnecessary remarks.

Regards, Graham.
Yeah you did an excellent moderation Graham, even the guy who was moderated mainly says...