Questions regarding the Election and Nomination Process

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Questions regarding the Election and Nomination Process

Post by Steve B »

as a potential candidate for Moderator i would like to ask...

the elections were only announced two days ago
is this the final list of nominees or an update of some sort?

i received no email notification that i was nominated other then this announcement just now

how is it possible that two nominees have already accepted?

Best Regards
Steve Blincoe
Graham Banks

Re: Questions regarding the Election and Nomination Process

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:as a potential candidate for Moderator i would like to ask...

i received no email notification that i was nominated other then this announcement just now

Best Regards
Steve Blincoe
Hi Steve,

I'm sure it's just a list of nominees to date.

I noticed that no cutoff date was announced for nominations to be in by, so hopefully Quentin can clarify that.

And yes, it is important that nominees are notified by email, rather than by reading it here.

If you accept your nomination, I'd like to wish you the best in advance.

Regards, Graham.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:

Best Regards
Steve Blincoe
Hi Steve,

I noticed that no cutoff date was announced for nominations to be in by, so hopefully Quentin can clarify that.

And yes, it is important that nominees are notified by email, rather than by reading it here.

Regards, Graham.
thanks for your reply Graham

if no nominees received an email notification can i ask you how is it possible that Swaminathan and you have already accepted?

Regards
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote: if no nominees received an email notification can i ask you how is it possible that Swaminathan and you have already accepted?

Regards
Steve
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15694
That was how I knew about being nominated, but I can't speak for Swaminathan.

Regards, Graham.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham

so you read a post that you would be nominated and based on that you notified the sponsor that you would be accepting the nomination once he the sponsor would receive it

and Swaminathan must have nominated himself

and the sponsor who is very quick on his heels with the election process is updating us minute by minute

Graham
please just state for the record that you are not involved with the Election -Nomination process in any way other then to be a candidate
Turner mentioned a new software is being used for the elections and so we are now sending nominations and acceptances to not only the sponsor but to second TCADM addy as well
also please mention that the TCADM address has nothing to do with you either.

surely you can agree that a candidate for election should have nothing to do with receiving votes ,viewing the votes as they come in and tabulating them ..as a matter of independence of course..

once i receive those assurances from you here publicly then i will reply to the sponsor about my decision to decline or accept the nomination

Regards
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote:Graham

so you read a post that you would be nominated and based on that you notified the sponsor that you would be accepting the nomination once he the sponsor would receive it
No - I didn't notify Quentin that I'd accepted. He must have read it on the forum.
Steve B wrote:and Swaminathan must have nominated himself
I wouldn't have a clue about Swami's nomination.
Steve B wrote:and the sponsor who is very quick on his heels with the election process is updating us minute by minute
I guess so.
please just state for the record that you are not involved with the Election -Nomination process in any way other then to be a candidate
Surely that can't be a serious question Steve?
However I can assure you that I have no special privileges above and beyond any other nominee.

Steve B wrote:Turner mentioned a new software is being used for the elections and so we are now sending nominations and acceptances to not only the sponsor but to second TCADM addy as well
Of course it has nothing to do with me.
Steve B wrote:surely you can agree that a candidate for election should have nothing to do with receiving votes ,viewing the votes as they come in and tabulating them ..as a matter of independence of course.
Of course. I'm surprised that you think I have anything to do with the elections other than having accepted my nomination! :o
Steve B wrote:once i receive those assurances from you here publicly then i will reply to the sponsor about my decision to decline or accept the nomination

Regards
Steve

You have those assurances, but again, I'm surprised you could even think those things.

Regards, Graham.
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Steve B wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:

Best Regards
Steve Blincoe
Hi Steve,

Regards, Graham.
thanks for your reply Graham

if no nominees received an email notification can i ask you how is it possible that Swaminathan and you have already accepted?

Regards
Steve
It should be notes, that people can now nominate themself. A selfnomination, I guess ;), must be considered as an acceptance...

Edit: A bit quick - just saw your above post ;)
Henrik
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:

No - I didn't notify Quentin that I'd accepted. He must have read it on the forum.
Steve B wrote:and Swaminathan must have nominated himself
I wouldn't have a clue about Swami's nomination.
Steve B wrote:and the sponsor who is very quick on his heels with the election process is updating us minute by minute
I guess so.
Surely that can't be a serious question Steve?
However I can assure you that I have no special privileges above and beyond any other nominee.

Steve B wrote:Turner mentioned a new software is being used for the elections and so we are now sending nominations and acceptances to not only the sponsor but to second TCADM addy as well
Of course it has nothing to do with me.
Steve B wrote:surely you can agree that a candidate for election should have nothing to do with receiving votes ,viewing the votes as they come in and tabulating them ..as a matter of independence of course.
Of course. I'm surprised that you think I have anything to do with the elections other than having accepted my nomination! :o
Steve B wrote:once i receive those assurances from you here publicly then i will reply to the sponsor about my decision to decline or accept the nomination

Regards
Steve

You have those assurances, but again, I'm surprised you could even think those things.

Regards, Graham.
thanks for your replies Graham

silly me to think that an otherwise slow to respond sponsor is now "Johnny on the spot" with up to the minute election news especially on a Saturday morning no less

one thing i am a bit concerned about as well

you seem to have special adm powers that normal mods do not
for example you can see the names of members who have chosen to log on as hidden
as a mod on another forum using the same software as the CCC i know that normal mods cannot see that information but only those with ADM software can see it

finally..can i ask you..do you have special Adm powers now that the other mods currently do not?
and if so...if reelected would you still retain those adm powers ?
suppose you are not reflected?
still retain those powers as an ADM??

Regards
Steve
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Steve B wrote: one thing i am a bit concerned about as well

you seem to have special adm powers that normal mods do not
for example you can see the names of members who have chosen to log on as hidden
as a mod on another forum using the same software as the CCC i know that normal mods cannot see that information but only those with ADM software can see it
All the CCC and CTF mods can see who is viewing the forum, whether they choose to remain hidden or otherwise.
Steve B wrote:finally..can i ask you..do you have special Adm powers now that the other mods currently do not?
and if so...if reelected would you still retain those adm powers ?
suppose you are not reflected?
still retain those powers as an ADM??

Regards
Steve
I have no special powers or privileges over any other moderator and I certainly don't have administrator status. I never have.

To be honest, I have no idea why you think I am any different to any other mod.

If I am not re-elected, I'll have exactly the same rights as any other member who is not a mod.

You're going to have to be more trusting than this if we're both elected. :roll:

Regards, Graham.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

IF we are both elected i think there will be several things that will have to change

but more about that later

once again...thanks for your repies

Steve