All Wannabe Moderators ....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

All Wannabe Moderators ....

Post by MikeB »

I have a few questions - pls post your reply.

1. Should moderators edit posts?

2. Should threads be locked?

3. Do you believe in banning those ( permanently or short term) for those who break the rules?

4. Do you beleive a moderator should work quietly behind the scenes or be more visible?

5. If somebody ( say repeated repeat offender) makes a post that has some value - but then slips in a few comment that clearly break the rules (foul. obscene language) - how would you handle?

Thanks - looking forward to your replies.

best,

MichaelB

ps There is no limit on the response

For those not running - pls do not reply to the responses. I would just like see those that are running respond without any comment from those not running. Thanks in advance for your consideration and cooperation.

swami

Re: All Wannabe Moderators ....

Post by swami »

No. Delete it if the post clearly violates the charter.
No, Instead some unnecessary messages or (attacks which often happens)should be deleted.
3. Do you believe in banning those ( permanently or short term) for those who break the rules?
If they continue to do after their warnings have expired, then may be a reasonable ban,but I will wait for the other moderators to propose whatever ban time they plan to.
5. If somebody ( say repeated repeat offender) makes a post that has some value - but then slips in a few comment that clearly break the rules (foul. obscene language) - how would you handle?
Delete the post, copy paste his post and send it to him via pm and that would give him the benefit of editing the insulting parts himself.That's the best way to do.If it is a vulgar insult against other members, it should be deleted.

Regards.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

MikeB wrote:I have a few questions - pls post your reply.

4. Do you beleive a moderator should work quietly behind the scenes or be more visible?

best,

MichaelB

For those not running - pls do not reply to the responses. I would just like see those that are running respond without any comment from those not running. Thanks in advance for your consideration and cooperation.

Hi Mike,

Maybe you could post this in CTF as well?

Terry
swami

Post by swami »

No, Instead some unnecessary messages or (attacks which often happens)should be deleted.
Maybe I should put the limit to the number of pages in the thread.How about 15-20 pages in one thread then a new thread?seems reasonable.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Terry McCracken wrote:
MikeB wrote:I have a few questions - pls post your reply.

best,

MichaelB

Hi Mike,

Maybe you could post this in CTF as well?

Terry
I have no interest in CTF elections - feel free to copy if you wish.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Apparently not.

Sometimes, yes.

Persistent offenders - yes (but short bans)

Most of your work is carried out behind the scenes, but sometimes you need to be visible also.

Previously I'd have edited out the offensive comment, noted that I'd done so, and left the rest.
Now I'll just delete the entire post.
Either way will have its critics.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

hi Mike

my soon to be released Candidates statement will address all of these issues and more..

but tell me...being a mod for as long as you have here..
and never having the ability to edit/move/shuffle etc etc other members posts...(old software)
did you at any time feel that you needed the ability to do that??
did you feel something was lacking in the moderators powers??
or was the power to delete(erase) posts enough for you to maintain an orderly club??

Honest Opinion Regards
Steve
pijl

Post by pijl »

Steve B wrote: but tell me...being a mod for as long as you have here..
and never having the ability to edit/move/shuffle etc etc other members posts...(old software)
did you at any time feel that you needed the ability to do that??
did you feel something was lacking in the moderators powers??
or was the power to delete(erase) posts enough for you to maintain an orderly club??
I haven't been a mod for as long as Mike, but I think I can answer this too.
There were quite a few flame wars, fights etc going on when I was a mod. That is not something you want to happen and the means that we had to stop it was limited to delete individual posts (using a cumbersome interface, with which you could do about 5 deletions a minute) and threatening people with a ban. Applying a ban took a day as the moderators could not do that themselves, but had to ask the sysadmin to do that. And with the open registration procedure, a ban wasn't very effective to remove the evil persons anyway.
Methods for pruning a thread or locking it (which would give a very clear signal to stop the offending discussion) would have been very useful in these cases.
Fortunately that wasn't daily business and the need for those tools was there only a few times during my period as a moderator.
As for editing a post: I never really needed that. If someone writes something offending, he can count on getting his post deleted. Simple enough.
Richard.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

thanks Richard for your reply

it would be very interesting i think from an historical perspective l if other past mods could weigh in here on the editing/moving/locking issue

Best Regards
Steve
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

why dont you pm the nominees.

afterall you dont want to involve other CCC posters.
For those not running - pls do not reply to the responses.
what is your agenda

:?:

................. Mu Shin ..........................