How many of you have ordered the new Naum?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tony Thomas

Re: How many of you have ordered the new Naum?

Post by Tony Thomas »

naum wrote:
- Not a single 2.1 or 2.2 customer from Russia !?
-

Regards,
Alex
It is more than likely that more than 50% of the engine users are russian.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:
naum wrote:
-

Regards,
Alex
It is more than likely that more than 50% of the engine users are russian.
Which begs the unthinkable! :shock:
Erik Roggenburg

Re: 32-bit/64-bit Re: How many of you have ordered the new N

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

naum wrote:On my Athlon 64-bit and WinXP-64 Naum 2.0-64 and 2.1-64 are around 8% faster.
Naum 2.2-64 is around 10% faster. Naum is using some bitboards, but it isn't a bitboard only engine like Rybka.

Regards,
Alex
I am a Naum customer, but I never heard anything via email about a new version. I only learned about it by visiting CCC.

I'll have to see if I can track down the website...
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

naum wrote:I am glad I made you laugh. Laughing is healthy and you should do it often.

Here are some interesting statistics unrelated to your spiteful post:
- Almost half of the sales are done in the first week when people don't even know about the ELO improvement.
- Around 10-15% of buyers are people who post in this forum.
- Almost half of the customers are Germans. Without Germany, computer chess would be barely alive. I don't know why is chess and comp chess so popular there. Is it thanks to the Chessbase advertising or maybe they teach chess in schools?
- Other countries with notable numbers: U.S., Netherlands, U.K., Italy
- Time I spend working as Java programer in Canada to earn what I get from Naum sales: 1.5 weeks
- Sales of Naum 2.2 in first 3 weeks are already close to total 6 month sales of Naum 2.1
- Around 70-80% of those who bought Naum 2.1 already upgraded to 2.2, but to my surprise there is quite a few new customers. I expected almost no new customers.

Regards,
Alex
I see no reason to be surprised.
Improvement of 50 elo in half year is better than the opponents so Naum improved its place among the chess programs.

Based on CEGT naum2.2 is the third best program for 2 cpu.

Considering the conjecture that there are customers who buy only programs that are in the top 3 programs then it is clear that they had a reason to buy naum2.2 and did not have a reason to buy naum2.1.

Uri
Philippe

Post by Philippe »

Dear Graham,
I do not need the strongest chess softwares, I shall be crushed each time, where is the fun ? I often read in this forum about people collecting the strongest programs and ............... mostly make them play against each other for testing purposes, hmm, not very interesting is it ?
I just need one nice chess software that I can beat from time to time, with several personalities, beautiful board and pieces and so on. This is the reason I mentionned CM.
I agree Naum is cheap and I have nothing against it or his author.
Just fed up of those "beasts" that nobody can beat in normal conditions.
Play for fun and relax :)
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Philippe wrote:Dear Graham,
I do not need the strongest chess softwares, I shall be crushed each time, where is the fun ? I often read in this forum about people collecting the strongest programs and ............... mostly make them play against each other for testing purposes, hmm, not very interesting is it ?
I just need one nice chess software that I can beat from time to time, with several personalities, beautiful board and pieces and so on. This is the reason I mentionned CM.
Your post seemed to be against Naum
It seemed that you laugh because you consider Naum to be not stronger than free engines.

Uri
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Philippe wrote:Dear Graham,
Each to his own of course.
We all have different interests regarding computer chess and we should respect that.
It's great that CCC is a place for us all to meet and discuss our hobby.

Regards, Graham.
Tony Thomas

Re: 32-bit/64-bit Re: How many of you have ordered the new N

Post by Tony Thomas »

Erik Roggenburg wrote:
naum wrote:On my Athlon 64-bit and WinXP-64 Naum 2.0-64 and 2.1-64 are around 8% faster.
Naum 2.2-64 is around 10% faster. Naum is using some bitboards, but it isn't a bitboard only engine like Rybka.

Regards,
Alex
I am a Naum customer, but I never heard anything via email about a new version. I only learned about it by visiting CCC.

I'll have to see if I can track down the website...
Erik, you have been absent for a while from the scene. Here is the link.

http://www.geocities.com/naum_chess/

Yes, may be he should try emailing all the customers before a new version gets released.
fern

Post by fern »

Ah, I do the same. Love pretty things, beautiful frills, tout l'adornement, tout le charme.
Avez vous le Majestic?

Ferdinan