Dell Ubuntu not an option to consumers

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Dell Ubuntu not an option to consumers

Post by Graham Banks »

cooldalek wrote:This is a very polite conversation at present, But I anticipate it could turn into a pro vs anti guns debate. This is a very interesting topic but maybe one for CTF?
Agreed. If a debate begins, I will split the thread and move the relevant section over to CTF.

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
geots

Post by geots »

Graham Banks wrote:
cooldalek wrote:This is a very polite conversation at present, But I anticipate it could turn into a pro vs anti guns debate. This is a very interesting topic but maybe one for CTF?
Agreed. If a debate begins, I will split the thread and move the relevant section over to CTF.

Regards, Graham.

I think it would be best for me to politely bow out of this conversation. 8-)
Bo Persson
Full name: Bo Persson

Post by Bo Persson »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Yes,I also think that it's a stupid policy from Dell's side as the business field won't be interested in the software installed....
Even more stupid is that this is US only. According to Dell, there is no demand whatsoever in Europe. :-)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Bo Persson wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Yes,I also think that it's a stupid policy from Dell's side as the business field won't be interested in the software installed....
Even more stupid is that this is US only. According to Dell, there is no demand whatsoever in Europe. :-)
Strange indeed,I can't figure out what's the point here,but it looks like Dell does :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
revengeska

Post by revengeska »

jshriver wrote:So today I thought I'd vote with my wallet, and needing a laptop I thought I'd get a Dell since they are pitching Ubuntu installed machines. The price also wasn't bad, upgrading to 120gig HD, DVD burner and 1gig of ram on 1 dimm the price was still under $800.

So I go through the site, and getting ready to checkout when it asks for a business ID and other business information. Not having that as I'm an individual I couldnt find anyway to checkout. So I closed the order, and call Dell sales directly.

After about 15 minutes of Q/A I get to where I can tell them what I want, an n-series notebook with FreeDos or Ubuntu preloaded (not the Vista package). Only to be told that those machines are only available to businesses and I'd need a business ID to make the purchase.

With all the hype the past couple months about Dell having the guts to sell Ubuntu systems I am shocked at this. They are more or less killing the project, because (I would guess) the majority of people wanting to get these are college students or people in the field, and not business owners.

Guess I'll just wait till this fall and get a Toshiba once the prices go down for Christmas.
Yeah, there's a business class of computers and a consumer class of computers from what I understand. I believe the Inspirion series notebook is the only line for consumers that offers Ubuntu. I'm guessing to make sure all their hardware works with the software(internal wireless cards, etc), they're only going to offer Ubuntu preinstalled on certain computers(could become a nightmare for Dell if they wanted to get all kinds of different hardware support. It's really not something they can screw up.)

So in short, they offer Ubuntu for consumers, just on specific hardware. They'll likely expand support in the future.