Question about UCI and Winboard

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cooldalek

Question about UCI and Winboard

Post by cooldalek »

Hi

What I was wondering is why, given WB2UCI and polygot seem to work pretty much perfectly, we don't create both UCI and winboard versions on websites for download?

I don't expect all authors will do this since they may have no need to bother with UCI if they are developing a winboard engine for their own purposes; and vice versa. But maybe Daniel Charles (who has an excellent site) and others who host download sites could do this?

Thanks to everyone who helps facilitate computer chess

Kind regards
GS

Re: Question about UCI and Winboard

Post by GS »

cooldalek wrote:Hi

What I was wondering is why, given WB2UCI and polygot seem to work pretty much perfectly, we don't create both UCI and winboard versions on websites for download?
Hmmm... That doesn't make much sense, because you yourself say
'WB2UCI and Polyglot 'seem to work pretty much perfectly'?
cooldalek wrote: I don't expect all authors will do this since they may have no need to bother with UCI if they are developing a winboard engine for their own purposes; and vice versa. But maybe Daniel Charles (who has an excellent site) and others who host download sites could do this?
I don't understand this too? Why should an author who already has his own site, if he graciously would make his program available for both
standard protocols, suddenly offer it somewhere else?

Guenther
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

[quote="GS"][quote="cooldalek"]Hi

What I was wondering is why, given WB2UCI and polygot seem to work pretty much perfectly, we don't create both UCI and winboard versions on websites for download?[/quote]

Hmmm... That doesn't make much sense, because you yourself say
'WB2UCI and Polyglot 'seem to work pretty much perfectly'?

Just saves someone the hassle of having to create the WB2UCI engine and edit the text doc

[quote="cooldalek"]
I don't expect all authors will do this since they may have no need to bother with UCI if they are developing a winboard engine for their own purposes; and vice versa. But maybe Daniel Charles (who has an excellent site) and others who host download sites could do this?
[/quote]

I don't understand this too? Why should an author who already has his own site, if he graciously would make his program available for both
standard protocols, suddenly offer it somewhere else?

All I was saying is the authors might not want to do this, but if there is a website that hosts downloads it could be done there

Guenther[/quote]

It really doesn't matter. It was only an idea...
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

If only it were that simple. The problem is that paths, directorys and other variables will vary from system to system. So editing would still be required. 8-)
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

The problem has already been solved most beautifully for Wb2UCI.
All we need is a similar solution for Polyglot, if necessary.

Note that paths and hash values must be edited on every computer, but the engine-specific configurations supplied for Wb2UCI are a great help.
Look for WbConf.zip here
http://americanfoot.free.fr/echecs/suisse/fichiers.htm

Who has a similar solution for Polyglot ? Maybe such a solution is not even necessary because UCI engines don't use command line parameters.
All polyglot ini files probably therefore look alike.
(I have never used Polyglot.)

Best,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Odd Gunnar Malin

Post by Odd Gunnar Malin »

AdminX wrote:If only it were that simple. The problem is that paths, directorys and other variables will vary from system to system. So editing would still be required. 8-)
A user of a common set of Wb2Uci.exe/eng do not need to set any path or even variable for Wb2Uci. He just dump the adapter into the engine folder. Even if the gui don't set the path correct to this enginefolder (most do), Wb2Uci will do it anyway so the engine will find his books and ini-files. For other varables it is best to follow the UCI recomandation and then let the user select his preference from the gui like he do with 'real' uci-engines.

Other features is that you can create several copy of the adapter into this engine folder to easier get track on which personality you play against by renaming Wb2Uci.exe and Wb2Uci.eng to a more understandable name, ex. ProDeo_novice.exe and ProDeo_novice.eng. This way the saved game reflect what you played against.

This latest can even be done for uci-engines by using InBetween renamed to Shredder_1800.exe - Shredder_1800.ini. This is what I do for testing personalities in engine-engine matches do keep track of each setup.

Odd Gunnar
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Odd Gunnar Malin wrote:
AdminX wrote:If only it were that simple. The problem is that paths, directorys and other variables will vary from system to system. So editing would still be required. 8-)
A user of a common set of Wb2Uci.exe/eng do not need to set any path or even variable for Wb2Uci. He just dump the adapter into the engine folder. Even if the gui don't set the path correct to this enginefolder (most do), Wb2Uci will do it anyway so the engine will find his books and ini-files. For other varables it is best to follow the UCI recomandation and then let the user select his preference from the gui like he do with 'real' uci-engines.

Other features is that you can create several copy of the adapter into this engine folder to easier get track on which personality you play against by renaming Wb2Uci.exe and Wb2Uci.eng to a more understandable name, ex. ProDeo_novice.exe and ProDeo_novice.eng. This way the saved game reflect what you played against.

This latest can even be done for uci-engines by using InBetween renamed to Shredder_1800.exe - Shredder_1800.ini. This is what I do for testing personalities in engine-engine matches do keep track of each setup.

Odd Gunnar
Thanks for the info.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."