Twisted Logic 20070915 is available!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Re: Twisted Logic 20070915 is available!

Post by gerold »

Edsel Apostol wrote:Hi Graham,

I have not played enough games to conclude that it doesn't lose on time anymore, but based on the games that this version and the versions prior to this played in the last couple of weeks, I have not noticed it crashing.

I hope what Norm observes is true so that I could already watch how my new engine would fare in the CCRL.

Regards,
Edsel Apostol
Thanks for the new verison. Running it in Arena. Playing
eng.vs.eng. White moves ok but black seems to stick and
not move on its own.

Gerold.
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Edsel Apostol wrote: To all amateur programmers out there, check your code for signed and unsigned integer conversions as it may cause a subtle bug in the program.
Question from a Java programmer: signed? Whazzat?

:-)

Incidentally, the above hopefully not only applies to amateurs, but to professional programmers, too (and, yes, they do make those mistakes too).
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

nczempin wrote:
Edsel Apostol wrote: To all amateur programmers out there, check your code for signed and unsigned integer conversions as it may cause a subtle bug in the program.

Incidentally, the above hopefully not only applies to amateurs, but to professional programmers, too (and, yes, they do make those mistakes too).
I can't tell how many times I have seen signed/unsigned mistakes with the "byte" Java type... :)
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Alessandro Scotti wrote:
nczempin wrote:

I can't tell how many times I have seen signed/unsigned mistakes with the "byte" Java type... :)
Which is always signed, just as all other primitive Java data types. Those mistakes can only come from C programmers :P
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

nczempin wrote:

The joke is on me: Of course I meant to say "unsigned? Whazzat?" :-)
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

nczempin wrote:Which is always signed, just as all other primitive Java data types. Those mistakes can only come from C programmers :P
Not only them... last I saw came from a "Java programmer" that was implementing some spec... spec said "byte" and proceeded to specify some magic values >= 80h, programmer implemented spec as literally specified, program did not work... :-) Too easy to forget byte is signed, when in most places (not only programming languages) it is assumed it isn't! :-)
Allard Siemelink

Post by Allard Siemelink »

nczempin wrote: Which is always signed, just as all other primitive Java data types. Those mistakes can only come from C programmers :P
Not quite...as the char type is unsigned in Java... :)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

gerold wrote:Running it in Arena. Playing
eng.vs.eng. White moves ok but black seems to stick and
not move on its own.

Gerold.
Hi Gerold,

no problems here under Arena 1.1

Regards, Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Alessandro Scotti wrote:
nczempin wrote:Which is always signed, just as all other primitive Java data types. Those mistakes can only come from C programmers :P
Not only them... last I saw came from a "Java programmer" that was implementing some spec... spec said "byte" and proceeded to specify some magic values >= 80h, programmer implemented spec as literally specified, program did not work... :-) Too easy to forget byte is signed, when in most places (not only programming languages) it is assumed it isn't! :-)
Ah, but surely it wasn't a "pure Java programmer". He must have been contaminated with a real language :D :D :D
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Allard Siemelink wrote:
nczempin wrote: Which is always signed, just as all other primitive Java data types. Those mistakes can only come from C programmers :P
Not quite...as the char type is unsigned in Java... :)
I was waiting for this :-)

Yes, the boolean is also unsigned...