Strongest Chess Engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zach Wegner

Re: Strongest Chess Engine

Post by Zach Wegner »

Edsel Apostol wrote:Hi Zach,

I wonder what's the name of your engine. Don't tell me it's Toga SMP. :)

Edsel Apostol
No, it's ZCT(Zach's Chess Test). A more reasonable estimate of strength is about 2400, and it still has many features missing (mostly in evaluation). My current engine is a little over two years old, but I have been programming chess engines for over five years. I guess this would make me the youngest person to write a chess engine.

And by the way, Toga MP was just to gain some points in Daniel Charles' Programmer's Cup. :lol:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Zappa's author is pretty young.

I would rather have a 3000 Elo program written by a 100 year old than a 300 Elo program written by a 2 year old.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Michael Sherwin wrote:By that formula, RomiChess's strength is almost infinite! :lol:

I guess that's better than undefined! 8-)
But maybe it isn't. Let undefined = џ

Then if:

∞ - ∞ = 0

and

џ - ∞ = џ

Then:

џ > ∞

;)
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

I started writing a chess engine at the age of 19 too but those were not released as they are too weak and too buggy. That was the time when I was learning the C programming language also.

If you are 19 now and you are writing an engine 5 years before, that means that you're age is 14 then. Wow. When I was 14 all I know is to play video games.

My current version, the new rewrite of Twisted Logic is around 6 months now. It is 2520 in CCRL.

Why don't you release your engine Zach? It would motivate you more when other people play it in tournaments and you see it losing against stronger programs. :)

Edsel Apostol
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Hi Dann,

What I'm trying to point out with this post is to show that the young programmers are having an easy time making their programs stronger. Maybe it was the influence of very strong open-source programs like Fruit, Glaurung, Scorpio.

Unlike the old programmers that have difficulty making their program stronger because they can't let go of the learnings they have before that are obsolete nowadays.

This is also to show that when one is young, that means the time spent to develop the engine is only short, and the engine is already strong, it would have a higher score compared to programs being developed over the years, though they are about of the same strength.

Edsel Apostol
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Edsel Apostol wrote:Hi Dann,

What I'm trying to point out with this post is to show that the young programmers are having an easy time making their programs stronger. Maybe it was the influence of very strong open-source programs like Fruit, Glaurung, Scorpio.

Unlike the old programmers that have difficulty making their program stronger because they can't let go of the learnings they have before that are obsolete nowadays.

This is also to show that when one is young, that means the time spent to develop the engine is only short, and the engine is already strong, it would have a higher score compared to programs being developed over the years, though they are about of the same strength.

Edsel Apostol
I disagree with you.
This is not a question of age.

old people also can develop strong engines in a short time(see Colossus
improvement)

Uri
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Ovyron wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:By that formula, RomiChess's strength is almost infinite! :lol:

But maybe it isn't. Let undefined = џ

Then if:

∞ - ∞ = 0
<meep> Sorry, busted!

&#8734; - &#8734; != 0

It is undefined.

and

&#1119; - &#8734; = &#1119;
sorry, wrong again.

&#1119; - &#8734; = - &#8734;
Then:

&#1119; > &#8734;

;)
Sorry, I am normally not such a humourless person (I hope). :wink:
nczempin

Post by nczempin »

Uri Blass wrote:
Edsel Apostol wrote:Hi Dann,

Edsel Apostol
I disagree with you.
This is not a question of age.

old people also can develop strong engines in a short time(see Colossus
improvement)

Uri
Phew, someone should seriously inject some humour back into this subject. Sorry, I've lost mine it seems.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

nczempin wrote:
Ovyron wrote:

But maybe it isn't. Let undefined = &#1119;

Then if:

&#8734; - &#8734; = 0
<meep> Sorry, busted!

&#8734; - &#8734; != 0

It is undefined.

and

&#1119; - &#8734; = &#1119;
sorry, wrong again.

&#1119; - &#8734; = - &#8734;

Sorry, I am normally not such a humourless person (I hope). :wink:
sorry but it is not correct that &#1119; - &#8734; = - &#8734;.
This is correct only if &#1119; is a real number but we have no reason to assume it.

Uri
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Uri Blass wrote: sorry but it is not correct that &#1119; - &#8734; = - &#8734;.
This is correct only if &#1119; is a real number but we have no reason to assume it.

Uri
All of a sudden we are not talking about numbers. :roll: