Zap Chess Mexico?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Spock

Re: Zap Chess Mexico?

Post by Spock »

Erik Roggenburg wrote:IIRC, Naum 2.2 is the same way.
And Loop
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

So if I simply create a UCI Zappa engine in CB GUI it will automatically play with 1 core even though 4 cores are present? Is that right? And that the only way for it to play with more cores is if you go into parameters and change that? That seems silly to say the least ... but that would also account for the 85% loss rate against Rybka on same machine.
Spock

Post by Spock »

M ANSARI wrote:So if I simply create a UCI Zappa engine in CB GUI it will automatically play with 1 core even though 4 cores are present? Is that right? And that the only way for it to play with more cores is if you go into parameters and change that? That seems silly to say the least ... but that would also account for the 85% loss rate against Rybka on same machine.
It's not silly really, just a choice. Most engines default to the max number of CPUs. Zappa and Loop, I think Naum, and there are others, default to 1
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

M ANSARI wrote:So if I simply create a UCI Zappa engine in CB GUI it will automatically play with 1 core even though 4 cores are present? Is that right? And that the only way for it to play with more cores is if you go into parameters and change that? That seems silly to say the least ... but that would also account for the 85% loss rate against Rybka on same machine.
It seems more like a silly mistake from your side.
Spock

Post by Spock »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Well - you should always open up the parameters screen anyway to check that you're happy with the defaults. Standard procedure here.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Spock wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:
Well - you should always open up the parameters screen anyway to check that you're happy with the defaults. Standard procedure here.
First thing I do before I play a game of my own against the engine. Of course, I lose within 30 moves but that's another part of the story.
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

On the contrary, defaulting to the max number of cores would be silly. Single-CPU users shouldn't be forced to make any adjustments just because they have hyperthreading.
Anabolic Karpov

Post by Anabolic Karpov »

Problem is I don't have a zappa.ini
Create an empty text file from notepad, rename it Zappa.ini and just enter the single string
threads n
where n = the number of threads: 2 for a dual, 4 for a quad for example.
AK
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Anabolic Karpov wrote:
Create an empty text file from notepad, rename it Zappa.ini and just enter the single string
threads n
AK
Or download Zappa again, the current version comes with an ini file.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Anabolic Karpov wrote:
threads n
AK
Or download Zappa again, the current version comes with an ini file.
Is this current version an updated engine? And if so, should purchasers of Zappa Mexico get an email notification of this update? I haven't gotten any such notification of an update.

Regards
Dave