Zap Chess Mexico?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bigo

Zap Chess Mexico?

Post by bigo »

I have a Mutiprocessor, if i was to order zap chess mexico do i have to specificy for which processor. Or does the zap chess engine automatically see both processors. In other words is there a zapchess mp and zapchess sp also zapchessx64 so three separate engines?
Terry Giles

Re: Zap Chess Mexico?

Post by Terry Giles »

Hi,

According to the Shredder web site when you purchase Zappa Mexico...

"We deliver a UCI chess engine in four versions: 32 bit and 64 bit versions for Windows and Linux. All versions support computers with multiple processors and processors with multiple cores. Zappa runs on all PCs with at least Windows 2000 including Windows Vista or with Linux.

Please note that you need a chess user interface supporting UCI to be able to use Zappa, for example the Shredder versions for Windows and Linux."

Hope that helps.

Terry :wink:
Spock

Post by Spock »

Correct. O. Hall asked if it can "automatically see both processors" and the answer is that no it doesn't - in it's parameters, the number of CPUs is set to one by default. So you specifically have to change those parameters to tell it to use multiple CPUs.
Anabolic Karpov

Post by Anabolic Karpov »

or reset the Zappa.ini file threads = value to the number of cores or processors as appropriate and forget about the engine parameter window each time you load the engine!
bigo

Post by bigo »

Problem is I don't have a zappa.ini file all i have is a zappa log file, is that what you reffering to?
Spock

Post by Spock »

Indeed, I do no have a zapp.ini either

Just alter the paramaters when you run the engine. It only takes a second.
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

Spock wrote:Indeed, I do no have a zapp.ini either

Just alter the paramaters when you run the engine. It only takes a second.
The freeware 1.1 version of Zappa has an .ini file. I tried this .ini file with Zappa Mexico installed as a Winboard engine in Arena, and it works. :-)

Regards
Dave
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Hmmm ... really ??? I had no idea. I simply installed Zappa Mexico as a UCI engine and ran a tournament against Rybka on CB GUI. Maybe that is why Rybka scored 85% against Zappa. I don't understand why Zappa would not run at the maximum available CPU's by default ... that would seem a very simple logical setting. I wonder how many people have also not been using Zappa to its potential.
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

IIRC, Naum 2.2 is the same way.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

M ANSARI wrote:Hmmm ... really ??? I had no idea. I simply installed Zappa Mexico as a UCI engine and ran a tournament against Rybka on CB GUI. Maybe that is why Rybka scored 85% against Zappa. I don't understand why Zappa would not run at the maximum available CPU's by default ... that would seem a very simple logical setting. I wonder how many people have also not been using Zappa to its potential.
Zappa only uses 1 CPU by default. If you want to make permanent changes, you would have to do it using the ini.file or by adjusting the threads option in the UCI options.