Another Spanish lesson! This one in Leiden!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: Another Spanish lesson! This one in Leiden!

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:Rybka is still going to win the tournament.
I agree with you on this one.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
You know that Junior will claim that they were the only team without a loss. :lol:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
You know that Junior will claim that they were the only team without a loss. :lol:
Too bad if that's the case. It's the one with the most points that counts. :wink:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
tralala

Post by tralala »

Is 7...d6 considered superior to 7...0-0 and heading for the marshall?
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote: There is a huge difference between a Rybka - Junior basement match and a real match with opening prep and unlimited hardware.
:shock:

1. The Rybka team has one of the best book cooker of the world

Junior team has hardly worse book cookers. GM Boris Alterman comes to mind.

2. Rybkas scaling is very bad on more then 4 CPU's

Doesn't that rather support my opinion?

So, your statement is pointless
My statement isn't pointless at all, it was referring to the overconfident 100.000$ challenge.
The result of a basement match Junior-Rybka with random openings is very predictable, whereas a "real" match would be presumably very close.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Ex wrote:
Daniel Mehrmann wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote: There is a huge difference between a Rybka - Junior basement match and a real match with opening prep and unlimited hardware.

My statement isn't pointless at all, it was referring to the overconfident 100.000$ challenge.
The result of a basement match Junior-Rybka with random openings is very predictable, whereas a "real" match would be presumably very close.
I see no reason to assume that a real match against Junior is going to be very close.

If you think that rybka is going to have problems against Junior based on a single game then you can also claim that a real match between Junior and Zzzzzz is going to be very close and it is not clear which program is going to win.

Uri
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

Uri Blass wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
Daniel Mehrmann wrote:

I see no reason to assume that a real match against Junior is going to be very close.

If you think that rybka is going to have problems against Junior based on a single game then you can also claim that a real match between Junior and Zzzzzz is going to be very close and it is not clear which program is going to win.

Uri
Your logic is flawed.

Junior drew Rybka in Turin 2006 and now won this game.
Junior won the match against Deep Fritz 4-2 this year.

Rybka-Zappa ended 4.5-5.5 this year.

I'm simply making an educated guess with this small amount of data.

Your comparison is Nonsense. Zzzzzz's win was the result of a bad opening line by Junior.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Ex wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Dr.Ex wrote:
Daniel Mehrmann wrote:

Uri
Your logic is flawed.

Junior drew Rybka in Turin 2006 and now won this game.
Junior won the match against Deep Fritz 4-2 this year.

Rybka-Zappa ended 4.5-5.5 this year.

I'm simply making an educated guess with this small amount of data.

Your comparison is Nonsense. Zzzzzz's win was the result of a bad opening line by Junior.
Rybka also lost against Junior because of bad opening choice and one draw from 2006 is irrelevant(rybka is now clearly better than rybka of 2006).

I think that getting conclusions from a single match when zappa won against rybka is simply wrong.

Rybka is a clear favourite to win against Junior and I see no reason to ignore the rest of the games of Junior(Junior also drew some games except the loss against Zzzzzz).

My educated guess based on the results is that Rybka may score near 70% in a match against Junior.

My educated guess for Rybka against Zappa is 60% for rybka.

Rybka can lose the match in case of being unlucky so one loss 5.5:4.5 proves nothing.

Uri
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I can add the following:

From the cegt 120/40 rating list

CEGT 40/120 (AMD64 x2 4200+) 2007

1 Rybka 2.3.2a 64 2CPU 1½½1½½½½1½½0½½1½½½0½½0½01½½010½½1½10½1111011½1101½ 29.0/50
2 Zap!Chess Zanzibar 64 2CPU 0½½0½½½½0½½1½½0½½½1½½1½10½½101½½0½01½0000100½0010½ 21.0/50

Rybka scored 5.5/14 in games 11-24(only one win and 4 losses)

You see that result of 10 game match are not safe against rybka even with CEGT conditions.

Uri