Hell I Need Shredder 11 Help!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Hell I Need Shredder 11 Help!

Post by geots »

Can anyone tell me after i installed Shredder 11 UCI that the icons changed on my pgn files, and the content name changed from PGN File to Shredder Game Database in all of them??? What the hell is going on. I tried going to Computer- Tools- Folder Options - File Types and playing around with it, but i get nowhere. Help!! Thanks in Advance

George
Las

Re: Hell I Need Shredder 11 Help!

Post by Las »

right click pgn file - open with - choose/select program - always open with

(or sth similar - german version here)

Torsten
geots

Post by geots »

Las wrote:right click pgn file - open with - choose/select program - always open with

Torsten

Thanks, but i apologize for not making myself clear. I have no trouble opeing the files, and once they are open- the pgns inside are correct- you notice no difference there. Its just the problem that the different icons that im used to and they all still named Shredder Game Databases instead of PGNFiles is just disconcerting and distracting and im trying to figure out why loading Shredder caused that. I will admit once you get inside the file- it makes no diff.

Regards
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

George, its similar to installing a new media player, during set up it searches for every extension that it opens, and make that particular player the default player for those extensions .wmv, .mpg, .mpeg etc.. To reverse the process you have to tell us which one was opening your files previously. Other than the icons, there is absolutely nothing different about them.
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

geots wrote:
Las wrote:right click pgn file - open with - choose/select program - always open with

Torsten

Thanks, but i apologize for not making myself clear. I have no trouble opeing the files, and once they are open- the pgns inside are correct- you notice no difference there. Its just the problem that the different icons that im used to and they all still named Shredder Game Databases instead of PGNFiles is just disconcerting and distracting and im trying to figure out why loading Shredder caused that. I will admit once you get inside the file- it makes no diff.

Regards
He's giving you the right idea. When I installed WinZip, for some reason it decided to make itself the default file compression application. Well, I want WinRar to be my default, so I had to click on one .zip file and do what Torsten wrote. That fixed it. Are you positive that's not the issue?
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Or you could save the necessary files you need from Shredder and uninstall shredder, it will go back to the pre-shredder era.
geots

Post by geots »

Erik Roggenburg wrote:
geots wrote:

Torsten

Regards
He's giving you the right idea. When I installed WinZip, for some reason it decided to make itself the default file compression application. Well, I want WinRar to be my default, so I had to click on one .zip file and do what Torsten wrote. That fixed it. Are you positive that's not the issue?

Im having trouble making myself clear- most probably my fault. I was previously opening my pgn files with notebook. And even now i still am. That is no problem. and the contents of the file are correct- just like they were before. No changes. But before the file TYPE was PGN File and now the File type is Shredder Game Database. I want it to go back to saying File Type= PGN file, an di cant make it do it. I think im explaining myself right- but now im not so sure.

Regards
geots

Post by geots »

Tony Thomas wrote:Or you could save the necessary files you need from Shredder and uninstall shredder, it will go back to the pre-shredder era.
The only other person i have discussed this with that had the same problem could only figure out how to solve it by after registering and creating the gui and loading shredder in chessbase, he then deleted the Shredder gui. But i dont want to dothat.
geots

Figured It Out Finally!

Post by geots »

You guys were nice enough to take the time to try and help me- so i know i neede to tell you i figured it out. I went to My Computer-Tools-Folder Options- File types. I scrolled till i found the file that said Shredder Game Database. I highlighted it and it brought it up in the bar. I then deleted it and in its place typed in PGN File. Now all my pgn files are back to being named correctly. Couldnt figure out how to get the other icon back, but the hell with that. Again, thanks for all you guys taking the time to help me. It gives me a good feeling inside to know some people still remember what the forum is about.

Best to You All,

George
Tony Thomas

Re: Figured It Out Finally!

Post by Tony Thomas »

geots wrote:You guys were nice enough to take the time to try and help me- so i know i neede to tell you i figured it out. I went to My Computer-Tools-Folder Options- File types. I scrolled till i found the file that said Shredder Game Database. I highlighted it and it brought it up in the bar. I then deleted it and in its place typed in PGN File. Now all my pgn files are back to being named correctly. Couldnt figure out how to get the other icon back, but the hell with that. Again, thanks for all you guys taking the time to help me. It gives me a good feeling inside to know some people still remember what the forum is about.

Best to You All,

George
Forum, Shmorum, even though we quarrel, we are like a big zappy family, we love each other. :wink: