Creation of Opening books -- free to the community

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

okoli

Re: Creation of Opening books -- free to the community

Post by okoli »

Marc Lacrosse wrote: But don't worry too much : as long as you simply use PG's powerful heuristic to build a generic book from a careful selection of games you will end with something valuable.

See for example this little test . In fact my best-performing private "generic" book is only 25 Elo points better than performance.bin .

... but when you go into hand-tuned selected-lines books you may hope for much better performances but this is in fact really another world.
This brings me down to earth again!!! And whats the most important thing for me. As a packager for a distribution the chess engines will be mostly used by usual chess playing people. Strength matters of cause, but if I think further, what matters more is:

- variety in play and
- that the engine will play openings this people will know or like

So your impressive conclusion about chess strength with/witout opening book, helped me a lot to see:

I will not make anything wrong providing my own book, and there has not to be every bleeding edge opening variation included.

Thanks a lot Marc this was not the help I expected, but the one I needed ;o)

Oliver