Database

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George Bodkin

Database

Post by George Bodkin »

What is the best Chess opening Database to buy.

Thanks GEORGE
royb

Re: Database

Post by royb »

Free software (such as SCID) offers a LOT of functionality for no money. If you are after a database that offers automated updates (pulling down recently played games from an online service), then SCID falls short there. That's not important for me though. I use it to organize my games, GM games (which I must download myself) and then run chess engines under the interface to help me analyze GM games (and my own though they are full of errors).

Commercial offerings may provide automated updates to the database of games, but beyond that, I'm not sure they offer much else that a program like SCID can offer. I use Rybka (purchased), Glaurung, Toga, and other free engines with SCID to provide a variety of opinions on a position. I do not miss Fritz, Hiarcs, Junior, etc. Your needs may make those essential in which case the commercial database packages may then be of more interest to you.

Roy
George Bodkin

Post by George Bodkin »

Where can I download it form. What's the current verision.

Thanks George.
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Post by matejst »

I think that ChessAssistant is better, but, if we take in account that SCID is free, that his main problem is his windowed interface, that he has all the functions of CB and CA, yes, SCID.

There are two versions of SCID, now. One is ChessDB, and you will easily find it in Google. The other is Pascal Georges version of SCID. They are a few differences, but I will recommend Georges' version because I feel that he is developping it much faster. One other thing: he has implented UCI support, which is not present in ChessDB.

You can find the latest version at http://prolinux.free.fr/scid/index.html.

I would like to propose you to watch the developpement of ChessX (http://chessx.sourceforge.net/). If this base is developped as planned, it will be powerfull as SCID, with a modern interface.

Kind regards!

BS