The New Fritz11 insanely Strong!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bigo

The New Fritz11 insanely Strong!

Post by bigo »

If there had never been a Rybka this new engine would be the talk of the computer chess world! Although nearly 50 elo weaker then Rybka , Fritz in my opinion has a much more entertaining and dynamic style, it's almost violently agressive. Strategically Fritz has no equal and it's play is indistinquishable from 2800 Human chess a truly Fantastic Frantz achievement, you go Fritz! I have little doubt that due to it's style it would be much tougher in Human compitition then any other engine.
Karol Majewski

Re: The New Fritz11 insanely Strong!

Post by Karol Majewski »

The new Fritz is not a Fritz :( This engine lost it's style. It plays more like Rybka's, Fruit's etc. F11 engine has nothing to do with older versions.
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

Kind of off-topic, but I received a reply to my question:
When I try to use "explain all moves," the program locks up. Why is this?
Here's the response:
Thanks for your hint. In fact we already realized that this feature is
currently not working correctly.
We will correct this for Fritz 11 with the first online upgrade (sorry, I
can not tell you yet when we will offer this upgrade at playchess.com).
Just in case anyone else was wondering about this glitch.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

bigo wrote:If there had never been a Rybka this new engine would be the talk of the computer chess world! Although nearly 50 elo weaker then Rybka , Fritz in my opinion has a much more entertaining and dynamic style, it's almost violently agressive. Strategically Fritz has no equal and it's play is indistinquishable from 2800 Human chess a truly Fantastic Frantz achievement, you go Fritz! I have little doubt that due to it's style it would be much tougher in Human compitition then any other engine.
Yes, the engine is stronger. However I also like the fact that they have tried to improve the features in the GUI as well. Calculation, Tactics, Opening, and Endgame Training are all nice improvements.

By the way I noticed a bug in the "Magic Eye". When viewing games online in 3D mode the Magic Eye does not work unless you reduce the chess engines Thinking lines down to one, if you have it displaying two or more lines the Magic Eye does not work.

The so called Magic Eye's main purpose is to show you the 1st three plies of the chess engines thinking when veiwing or playing a game in 3D mode.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

bigo wrote:If there had never been a Rybka this new engine would be the talk of the computer chess world! Although nearly 50 elo weaker then Rybka , Fritz in my opinion has a much more entertaining and dynamic style, it's almost violently agressive. Strategically Fritz has no equal and it's play is indistinquishable from 2800 Human chess a truly Fantastic Frantz achievement, you go Fritz! I have little doubt that due to it's style it would be much tougher in Human compitition then any other engine.

Agreed !
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Sylwy wrote:

Agreed !
I am not sure about it.
It is possible that Fritz is stronger thanks to the fact that we have rybka
and in case of not having rybka Fritz could be significantly weaker because of the fact that the programmer could not learn from rybka.

exe file of engines even without the source is a source of learning for programmers and can help them to improve their program.

Uri
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

In fact Fritz lost its style, Fritz 9 and Fritz both were very aggressive looking for the King side attack at every moment of the game, but also both versions were very speculative and Rybka is a predator that wait the mistakel to punish it. In my opinion rybka has a stylepassive than Fritz, even the version 11 that is much less aggressive than the 9 and the 10 versions have a dynamic play better than Rybka. It seems that Frans has improve its evaluation funtion, Fritz know a lote more about structure pawns. I played troguh some games(Rybka 2.3.2a vs Fritz 11) in the weekend, 11 or 12 games, and I didn´t see any king side attack, I´m sure that Fritz 10 or 9 wolud had made 3 or 4 Kig side attack games. Rybka changed the world of the chess and now many programs tend to be more cautious, altough Shredder still being demolished game after game by Rybka, this no happen longer with Fritz ...something did Frans with this program that this becoming the closer rival for Rybka. I hope that Junior improve very nice the next version, we will see.
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

AdminX wrote:
Yes, the engine is stronger. However I also like the fact that they have tried to improve the features in the GUI as well. Calculation, Tactics, Opening, and Endgame Training are all nice improvements.

By the way I noticed a bug in the "Magic Eye". When viewing games online in 3D mode the Magic Eye does not work unless you reduce the chess engines Thinking lines down to one, if you have it displaying two or more lines the Magic Eye does not work.

The so called Magic Eye's main purpose is to show you the 1st three plies of the chess engines thinking when veiwing or playing a game in 3D mode.
It's completely useless. Same applies to "Show plans". A total useless and annoying option.

I can't analyse seriously in 3D mode, since every 3 moves or so I accidently move the whole board instead of the intended piece.
They just can't get it right.
What are these guys at Chessbase doing the whole day?
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Karol Majewski wrote:The new Fritz is not a Fritz :( This engine lost it's style. It plays more like Rybka's, Fruit's etc. F11 engine has nothing to do with older versions.
The same happened with Shredder 11, and the same will happen to next Naum (It seems). I wonder if it will happen with next Junior and next Hiarcs, they're just copying the best, it's the age of the "Solid" chess engines (Not Passive, they still develop and do something, just not attack as much as before).

But don't worry, Vas has promised that next Rybka 3 is going to have a very different playing style (And the Rybka fans hope that he means more aggressiveness).
Your beliefs create your reality, so be careful what you wish for.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Might it not just be that Fritz 9 and 10's aggressiveness was weakness, and that by removing weaknesses, the playing seems less aggressive?

(If this (the above) IS the case, I welcome it. If not, I spurn [highly dislike] it).