The New Chessmaster

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
menniepals

The New Chessmaster

Post by menniepals » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:20 pm

Hi! I would like to know if the latest Chessmaster can take UCI engines. Does it have tutorials for children? Is it child friendly? I don't care how strong it is. The major thing is it should be user friendly to a 5 year old and be able to take the Fruit engines. Thanks, Alfred

AdminX

Re: The New Chessmaster

Post by AdminX » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:25 pm

Chessmaster 11 does not have UCI support, you will need wb2uc1 adapter to get UCI engines working under Chessmaster. I think it is child friendly and some of the tutorials will suite a child pretty well with room for growth as well.

However the program still has <<LOTS of BUGS>>, Online as well as in the Tutorials. If I were you I would go for Chessmaster 10th Edition. Better value and price for a child.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

menniepals

Post by menniepals » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:14 pm

That I will do. Thanks, Alfred

Kirk

Post by Kirk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:59 pm

AdminX wrote:Chessmaster 11 does not have UCI support, you will need wb2uc1 adapter to get UCI engines working under Chessmaster. I think it is child friendly and some of the tutorials will suite a child pretty well with room for growth as well.

However the program still has <<LOTS of BUGS>>, Online as well as in the Tutorials. If I were you I would go for Chessmaster 10th Edition. Better value and price for a child.
Hi Ted,

What are the GUI improvements in Chessmaster over version 10? From what I have read it seems the only benefit of 11 is getting the engine. I have been hesitant to upgrade.

thanks in advance,

Kirk
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”

AdminX

Post by AdminX » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:10 pm

Kirk wrote:
AdminX wrote:Chessmaster 11 does not have UCI support, you will need wb2uc1 adapter to get UCI engines working under Chessmaster. I think it is child friendly and some of the tutorials will suite a child pretty well with room for growth as well.

Hi Ted,

What are the GUI improvements in Chessmaster over version 10? From what I have read it seems the only benefit of 11 is getting the engine. I have been hesitant to upgrade.

thanks in advance,

Kirk
To be honest, I don't really see any GUI improvements. Chessmaster 11 does do a better job of rendering the graphics. I believe the difference between CM10 and CM11 is that CM10 is built around DirectX 9.0 and CM11 is built using DirectX 9.0c and CM11 does not support OpenGL anymore.

Kirk

Post by Kirk » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Thanks

Surprising. On the Chessmaster Forums I saw many suggestions made over the past couple of years for the new version. Sounds like they were mostly ignored :?
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”

menniepals

Post by menniepals » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:48 pm

This is really a sad story on one of my favorite chess programs. I used to buy them. The last version I bought was CM 9. The first was CM 5 and I remember there was so much interest about the program CM 6 and threads on this program were so abundant in this site at that time. I bought this one, as well. CM 7 was a disappointment. CM 8 and CM 9 were good. I will get CM 10 but not CM 11 as you advised.

AdminX

Post by AdminX » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:36 pm

Here is just one such bug in ChessMaster 11:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 3911017516

Now what's wrong with this picture??? :lol:

Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:14 pm

Who moved last? Looks like one of the Kings are going to be captured.

Guerrero

Post by Guerrero » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 am

You need Polyglot adapter para to use UCI engines in Chessmaster GUI.
I may send you Fruit adapted if you desire it.

P.D. Wb2Uci is an adapter to use Winboard engines in Fritz GUI.