Calculation Training (Fritz 11 GUI)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Calculation Training (Fritz 11 GUI)

Post by AdminX »

Do you use the Calculation Training of Fritz 11, and if so what do you think of it? Do you find it is helping your game? If you do use it, how much time do you give the engines to evel your calculated variations? Do you find that agree with your engines evals? Is there a way to paste your variations into a game you are viewing live? Is it best to use it in online or offline games? Lastly do the points really count for anything?

I for one like it, because it has forced me to think more about the position on the board instead of depending on the eval of the chess engines which can't always be trusted. Thanks in advance!

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Re: Calculation Training (Fritz 11 GUI)

Post by S.Taylor »

What?
What feature is this?
Koroljow

Post by Koroljow »

Hello,

I have started using it, and I find it motivating and informative. I always wished for such a thing.

I have given up on having the engine evaluate my variations. There is not enough time in the world. Have you ever waited long enough for an eval?

I think the points are purely a motivational factor, and like them for that reason.

I have found that these points are high for my analysis of a problem I have solved, but very low for a complex position in a real game. I think this is a realistic appraisal of my calculation.

Otherwise, I have not had the experience to answer your other questions.

Good luck...
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

S.Taylor wrote:What?
What feature is this?
See Video for details:
http://www.fritzserver.biz/Fritz11_Calculation_Training
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by S.Taylor »

Looks good! So that was one of the things I was asking about in a different thread. Anything which helps training is also entertaining.

I didn't quite get it, however, what this makes so much better to what I was always used to doing, when I always checked computer reaction to ideas I was thinking about.
(speaking a bit as if in the past, but I hope to get back to it again soon).
nas

Post by nas »

Looks like a great feature. I think chess software authors should spend more time on these kinds of innovations, rather than focusing purely on strength.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

nas wrote:Looks like a great feature. I think chess software authors should spend more time on these kinds of innovations, rather than focusing purely on strength.

I fully agree about these things AS WELL. But I WOULD also like to see computes reach the strength necesary for imitating the most visionary type of chess understanding and discovery seen by humans, but computerized!

AGAIN, however, can someone answer me as to what exactly this new feature gives what we couldn't do for ourselves by going down a line of thought and calculation with analysis functions?